PEMBERVILLE – Eastwood Local Schools’ Robotics Club got a boost when it accepted a check from Energy Harbor.
Representatives from Energy Harbor attended the February board of education meeting to present a $7,500 check to the robotics club. The club traveled to Colorado in December to compete in the Denver BEST Robotics Regional Championship.
“I appreciate you guys taking our money,” quipped Greg Michael, director of engineering at Energy Harbor.
Trent Henline, site manager, said if robotics had been available when he was in school, he would have participated.
“I’m happy to bring as much money this way as we can,” said Mark Kanz, senior communications representative.
The robotics program was started three years ago, and this donation helped pay for the Denver trip, said Jim Kieper, Eastwood High School principal.
“It was a great opportunity for our students, and I hope it happens again,” he said.
First Solar also made a $2,500 donation to the robotics club.
Also at the meeting, the board:
• Honored Jordan Appelhans for being chosen February Student of the Month
• Accept a letter of resignation for retirement from Jeff Hill as director of athletics, effective July 31.
Superintendent Brent Welker said he had worked with Hill for 17 years and he didn’t know anyone more dedicated to the students.
“Jeff’s going to be a big loss for us,” he said.
Hill has had a kid-first mentality, first as high school principal and then an athletic director, he said.
The higher standard developed in the athletic program can be attributed to Hill’s leadership, Welker said.
• Accepted letters of resignation from intervention specialist Kelly Schoonover, effective next school year, and from middle school guidance counselor Connie Rutherford, effective May 31.
• Approved a continuing contract with Tammie Dennis as the head cook at Eastwood Elementary, effective March 27.
• Approved proposal for design services with Kleinfelder Architecture, Inc. for the construction of new dugouts.
• Accepted donations of $100 from Mike and Judy Gardner to the track team and $200 from Zedda and Donovan Myers to the high school musical.
• Approved additional course offerings to the 2023-24 EHS course description guide, including history of film I and II and possibly world geography.