Local Briefs


Couple arrested in Lake Twp. after

trying to steal motel safe, fleeing police

MILLBURY — A couple is in custody after they allegedly tried to steal a safe from a motel, fled the scene and crashed their vehicle Wednesday morning.

The man, who not yet been identified, was arrested after climbing up a tree to allegedly escape authorities. The woman was taken to an area hospital after suffering non-life threatening injuries in the crash, according to Lake Township Police Chief Mark Hummer.

He said that the couple broke into the office of the Super 8 on Latcha Road around 5 a.m.

“They were interrupted by the manager of the Super 8 and fled. They were trying to steal the safe,” Hummer said.

The couple’s vehicle crashed at Walbridge and Lemoyne roads, he said. She was transported to the hospital.

Hummer said that the man took off and a perimeter was established. Drones, K9s and Ohio State Highway Patrol aviation were called into assist.

The man was reportedly spotted 40 feet up in a pine tree at Interstate 280 and Walbridge Road. A S.W.A.T. team negotiated with him and he was arrested around 11 a.m., Hummer said.

Classes at Lake Local Schools were delayed two hours this morning, he said. After talking with Superintendent Jim Witt and assuring him that a perimeter around the suspect had been established, school was opened, Hummer said. Additional officers were posted at the Lake campus, which is at Ohio 795 and Lemoyne Road.

Eat and sing with VFW Post 1148

VFW Post 1148 at 719 S. Main St. has three events on Friday and Saturday.

A fish sandwich and fries lunch will be available Friday from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. It is open to the public and costs $9. Dine in (limited seating) or carryout will be available.

A lake perch dinner will be served Friday from 4-7 p.m. It includes three pieces of fish, baked potato, cole slaw and apple pie blossom. The cost is $15.

Karaoke by Chuck Pultz will be held Saturday from 8 p.m.-midnight. It is open to the public and food will be available

Buy a book from Friends of the Library

The Pemberville Public Library, Stony Ridge Branch Library and Luckey Branch Library are having book sales going on now through the end of January.

Items for sale include books for kids and adults, magazines, movies, audiobooks and music. All prices are by donation, with the customer deciding how much to pay. Proceeds benefit the Friends of the Library at each location.


Tracy Graf-Gilbert and Tony Gilbert, a son, Jan. 10, Wood County Hospital.


Tonight: Rain before 2 a.m., then a chance of rain and snow . Low around 31. Northwest wind 14 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Friday: A chance of snow , mainly before 2 p.m. Cloudy, with a high near 33. North wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. A slight chance of snow before 8 p.m. Partly cloudy, with a low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Extended: Sunny on Saturday, with a high near 33. Partly cloudy at night, with a low around 24. Mostly cloudy Sunday, with a high near 39. Mostly cloudy at night, with a low around 34. A chance of showers on Monday. Cloudy, with a high near 46. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Showers likely at night. Cloudy, with a low around 42. Chance of precipitation is 60%. A chance of showers Tuesday. Cloudy, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

No posts to display