Perrysburg applies for Ohio 25/US 20 roundabout funding


PERRYSBURG — City council has applied for a grant to fund a roundabout at the intersection of Ohio 25 and U.S. 20.

Council at its Tuesday meeting approved by emergency vote to authorize the application for federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality funds to help pay for the project.

If received, the grant will cover 80% of the $5.8 million project, with the remaining 20% ($1.116 million) paid for by the city.

The local share will be funded using road improvement funds.

The grant is through the Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments. It may be several years before the project is started, if funding is approved, Mackin said.

The roundabout is needed to ensure the ability of the intersection, which is where West Boundary Street ends at West Front Street, to handle existing and future traffic loads.

It would be located north of the current intersection.

Councilwoman Jan Materni, who is the chairperson of council’s service committee, said the roundabout would not affect the houses in the area or Fort Meigs Cemetery.

It will assist with air quality by improving traffic flow, she said.

Councilman President Jonathan Smith asked if it would impact the multi-use path on south side of road.

It will not, answered Councilman Mark Weber.

It will have five entrances: from the east, west and south of the two streets previously mentioned as well as an entrance to the city’s waste water treatment plant to the north along the Maumee River, and from West Front Street west of the intersection.

Also at the meeting, council:

• Learned from Kuhlman that the city received 36 applications for administrator and the candidate’s list has been narrowed down to eight.

Bridgette Kabat, who worked for the city for 10 years, left in February.

• Amended the codified ordinance that designates the service charges for the EMS department. The initial rates of the ordinance were set in 2007 and a review found that charges were less for both transportation and Medicare than in surrounding municipalities.

The current cost of ambulance transportation is $350 for basic life support, $425 for advanced life support and $7 per mile.

“It’s a tough thing to measure. We’re not in it for profit,” said fire Chief William McCullough.

In the future, the city will charge the Medicare cost times 1.5% for the above listed prices.

• Approved the purchase of a 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD from Perrysburg Automall for $48,995. The vehicle is for the public utilities department.

• Approved purchase agreements with Perrysburg Pipe & Supply Co. for water main materials for $34,831.38 to finish the water main replacement project on 5th and 6th streets; and stock materials for the public utilities department for $32,893.86.

Council also awarded a bid to Perrysburg Pipe & Supply Co. for $106,273.50 for 30 fire hydrants.

• Approved the purchase of four used solar grid bee mixers from the Northwestern Water and Sewer District for the public utilities department for $30,000. The mixers will be used to enhance the biological treatment of wastewater for phosphorus removal.

All the above ordinances were passed as an emergency measure.

• Gave a second reading to a new pregnancy and parental leave policy, which would grant up to 12 weeks of paid leave to full-time non-bargaining employees that have worked for the city for at least one year.

No posts to display