Man pleads guilty for bomb threats

A Detroit man has pleaded guilty to inducing panic at the sheriff’s office by calling in a bomb threat.

Ziaire Webb, 28, appeared Thursday in the courtroom of Wood County Common Pleas Judge Joel Kuhlman.

He had been indicted in October for making terroristic threats, a third-degree felony; telecommunications harassment, a first-degree misdemeanor; and two counts inducing panic, both fourth-degree felonies.

He pleaded guilty Friday to both inducing panic charges and the amended charge of attempted making terrorist threats, a fourth-degree felony.

The harassment charge will be dismissed at sentencing.

In return, the state recommended a sentence of community control with the condition Webb have no contact the sheriff’s office for any purpose, said Wood County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Dexter Phillips.

He also recommended the judge reserve a 54-month prison sentence if Webb were to violate the conditions of community control.

Kuhlman said he could impose a prison sentence of six to 18 months for each charge.

According to Phillips, on July 29, Webb used his cell phone to call the Wood County Sheriff’s Office and while speaking with a deputy, said he had placed bombs around the building, that officers had messed with the wrong person, and he was going to detonate the bombs.

Later that same day, he called again using his cell phone and said there were bombs around the building and they were going to detonate, Phillips said.

The sheriff’s office brought in a K-9 unit trained in detecting bombs and had the entire property searched.

On Aug. 14, Webb again used his cell phone to call the sheriff’s office and report a Perrysburg hotel was on fire.

“It turns out that was again a false report,” Phillips said.

During that call, Webb told a deputy that he had arranged for that deputy’s family to be killed and had planted bombs around the sheriff’s office and planned to detonate them, Phillips said.

Sentencing has been set for Feb. 16.