Federal disaster assistance program sign-up to begin


WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s has announced farmers and ranchers can sign-up for
disaster assistance programs, reestablished and strengthened by the 2014 Farm Bill, beginning Tuesday.

"President Obama and Secretary Vilsack made it a priority to begin enrollment for these
programs," said the administrator, Juan M. Garcia. "For farmers and ranchers who have been
awaiting disaster assistance, help is on the way."
The Livestock Indemnity Program and the Livestock Forage Disaster Program will provide payments to
eligible producers for livestock deaths and grazing losses that have occurred since the expiration of
the livestock disaster assistance programs in 2011, and including calendar years 2012, 2013, and 2014.

Enrollment also begins on April 15 for producers with losses covered by the Emergency Assistance for
Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (and the Tree Assistance Program in 2011, when the
programs expired, through 2014.
ELAP provides emergency assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish
that have losses due to disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, such as wildfires. TAP provides
financial assistance to qualifying orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or rehabilitate
eligible trees, bushes and vines damaged by natural disasters. LIP provides compensation to eligible
livestock producers that have suffered livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality due to
adverse weather and attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government or protected
by federal law. LFP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers that have suffered grazing
losses due to drought or fire.
To expedite applications, all producers who experienced losses are encouraged to bring records
documenting those losses to their local FSA county office.
Producers also are encouraged to contact their county office ahead of time to schedule an appointment.

For more information, producers are encouraged to review the LIP, LFP, ELAP and TAP fact sheets online or
visit any USDA Service Center.

No posts to display