COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio’s state fire marshal reminds
Ohioans that frigid winter temperatures mean an increased risk of home
fires and urges precautions.
State Fire Marshal Larry Flowers says
the use of candles, heating sources and makeshift cooking methods can
significantly increase fire risks. He urges using kerosene heaters and
space heaters according to manufacturer instructions, keeping them at
least three feet from combustible materials.
Kitchen oven ranges
should not be used to heat homes and generators or other fuel-powered
machines should be used outside only. Carbon monoxide fumes are odorless
and can quickly overwhelm people indoors.
Ohioans using candles should keep the flame away from combustible objects and out of children’s reach.
Flowers also says smoke alarms should be installed on every level of a home, inside and outside of
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights
reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or