Carjacked SUV hits crowd, killing 3 young siblings

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Two men carjacked a woman at gunpoint
but soon sped out of control, killing three children Friday as they
plowed into a group selling fruit to raise money for their church,
Philadelphia police said.
Two women, including the mother of the three siblings killed, were critically injured.
"Three innocent children had their lives taken," Philadelphia Homicide Capt. John Clark said of
the victims, ages 7, 10 and 15.
victims were struck late Friday morning about a mile from where the
carjacking occurred. Police were looking for the suspects, who fled on
"There are no words to describe how I feel right now," said
police commissioner Charles Ramsey, "but we do need to find these two
Police said they may have blown a tire as they turned a
corner at high speed. The car ended up in a wooded area, its front end
smashed against a stand of trees.
"Something obviously went horribly wrong," Clark said.
victims included a 15-year-old girl and her younger brothers. Their
mother, 34, was in extremely critical condition, police said. Their
identities were not immediately released.
A neighbor helping the family sell fruit was also struck. The 65-year-old woman was in stable condition,
police said.
carjack victim, a 45-year-old real estate agent who was forced into the
backseat of her Toyota 4Runner, was also critically injured.
Witness Renee Charleston saw a car streaking through the intersection, then noticed children on the
"Nobody was moving," she told television station WPVI.
at Education Works, an educational nonprofit across the street from the
wreck, told The Philadelphia Inquirer they ran to try to help the
victims. One boy had no pulse and another’s was barely there, said Karen
Payne, who runs a summer camp there.
"I’m certified in first aid and CPR — my first instinct was to go to them," she said. "But
I couldn’t help."
were offering a $60,000 reward for the suspects’ capture. They also
asked nearby businesses for surveillance video and pleaded with anyone
with information to come forward.
Deputy Mayor Everett Gillison described the mayor as heartbroken.
"The prayers of the city go out to this family," he said.