LUCKEY — During the week of Aug. 11, the 2,000th truckload of material removed from the cleanup site of the former Brush Wellman company was transported off site for disposal.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Buffalo District issued an update on the site last week.
As of Aug. 16, the Corps has removed 34,446 tons of contaminated material from the site, under the authority of the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program.
Cleanup of the site is approximately 20% complete.
A fact sheet regarding the spring 2019 groundwater sampling event at the Luckey Site is available on the web in the Environmental Monitoring Section. The results of this sampling event are consistent with past results.
Some on-site wells exhibit contaminant concentrations above the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency maximum contaminant levels for drinking water.
An off-site residential well located to the north of the site is not showing any trends for beryllium, lead, or total uranium, and does not contain any site contaminants of concern above the MCLs.
For the latest statistics regarding the cleanup, visit the website
The cleanup on the 40-acre site started last spring and is expected to be completed in 2029.
In 1942, a magnesium processing facility was built on the site, at the corner of Gilbert and Luckey roads, which at the time was government land. In 1949, a beryllium production facility was built on the site. Brush Wellman operated the site until 1957, but radioactive scrap metal stored at the site was never used for its intended purpose. The site was closed by 1960.
The cleanup project was initiated in 1974 with years of documentation and investigation.
In 2006, the Corps of Engineers signed a “record of decision” addressing the beryllium, lead, radium and uranium in the soils. Beryllium is highly toxic and is driving the cleanup.
In September 2016, the contractor began moving equipment and personnel to the site. In April 2018, the contractor completed setup activities; the first soil was transported from the site in July.
The building is owned privately, by Industrial Properties Recovery. It was announced in April that the building will be taken down.