Local Briefs

Michigan man faces charges in Lake Twp. incident

MILLBURY — A Michigan man faces several charges with he allegedly tried to steal a motel safe, crashed a vehicle while fleeing and climbed a tree to avoid apprehension.

Ricky Lee Warthen, 33, Newport, Michigan, was charged with tampering with evidence, safe cracking, failure to comply with the order of a police office, vehicular vandalism, possessing criminal tools, breaking and entering, and criminal damaging, according to Mike Blair with the Lake Township Police Department.

Warthen was arrested Wednesday after climbing up a tree to allegedly escape authorities. A woman who was with him has not been charged. Warthen is reportedly still hospitalized.

The couple reportedly broke into the office of the Super 8 on Latcha Road around 5 a.m. and tried the steal the safe. They were interrupted by the manager of the Super 8 and fled.

The couple’s vehicle crashed at Walbridge and Lemoyne roads.

Warthen allegedly took off and a perimeter was established. Drones, K9s and Ohio State Highway Patrol aviation were called into assist.

Warthen was reportedly spotted 40 feet up in a pine tree at Interstate 280 and Walbridge Road. A S.W.A.T. team negotiated with him and he was arrested around 11 a.m., Hummer said.

Classes at Lake Local Schools were delayed two hours.

BG offices closed Monday

City of Bowling Green offices will be closed on Monday in observance of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

The refuse/recycling collection will change to regular Monday collection will be collected Tuesday, regular Tuesday collection will be collected Wednesday, regular Wednesday collection will be collected Thursday, and regular Thursday collection will be collected Friday.

Any questions regarding may be directed to the public works department at 419-354-6227.

Bradner legion can assist veterans

Any veteran with a DD-214 and who was Honorably Discharged from military service, should contact Bradner American Legion Post 338 at 419-288-3634. Leave name and phone number for a call back. The service officer will return the call to make an appointment.

Hours of operation are 3 p.m. to close Monday-Thursday and noon to close Saturday and Sunday. You can be a member of other veterans organizations or just a veteran.

Herald hosts 4th ward quarterly meeting in BG

Bowling Green’s 4th Ward Councilman William Herald will hold his 52nd quarterly meeting on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Simpson Garden Building, 1291 Conneaut Ave.

The meeting will consist of a general updating of work conducted in 2022, current issues, future planned activities and time for hearing comments and questions. Refreshments will be provided.

All are welcome and encouraged to attend.

Perry Twp. Trustee meetings change

FOSTORIA — The board of trustees meetings for Perry Township have been changed. The meetings will be held on the first st Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. at the Perry Township Fire Station. The third meeting of the month will no longer be held.

Forecast

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 20. North wind 8 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 34. Northwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the afternoon. Partly cloudy at night, with a low around 25.

Extended: Partly sunny Sunday, with a high near 40. Mostly cloudy at night, with a low around 34. Showers likely Monday, mainly after 1 p.m. Cloudy, with a high near 47. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Showers likely, mainly before 1 a.m. Cloudy, with a low around 43. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Mostly cloudy Tuesday, with a high near 50. Mostly cloudy at night, with a low around 37. A chance of showers Wednesday. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46. Chance of precipitation is 30%.