Local Briefs

234 coronavirus cases reported in last week

There have been 36,207 coronavirus cases in Wood County, according to a Thursday Ohio Department of Health update.

There have been 234 cases in the last seven days, according to a Thursday update by the Wood County Health Department.

There are 179 cases per 100,000 in the last seven days and the test positivity rate is 14%. The community is at a medium level.

There have been two hospitalizations in the last seven days.

There have been 375 deaths in Wood County since March 2020, according to the Ohio Department of Health. There have been 1,152 hospitalizations since March 2020.

Statewide, there are 3,131,645 confirmed cases and 39,767 confirmed deaths.

For questions and reporting positive tests, call 419-292-6100.

BG utilities meeting canceled

The Bowling Green Board of Public Utilities meeting scheduled for Monday is canceled due to lack of official business.

The next meeting will be Oct. 10 at 5 p.m. in council chambers at the City Administrative Services Building, 304 N. Church St.

Latta to host academy informational night

FINDLAY — U.S. Rep. Bob Latta, R-Bowling Green, will host an informational meeting regarding the United States Military Service Academy nomination and appointment process for the 2023 academic year.

The meeting will take place at 7 p.m. on Monday at Owens Community College, Findlay-area Campus Education Center, Conference Room 111, 3200 Bright Road.

At the meeting, potential candidates will be advised of the congressional nomination process and will have the opportunity to meet with representatives from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London.

Potential candidates may also obtain an application for a military service academy nomination at the meeting or on Congressman Latta’s website at latta.house.gov. Completed applications are due Friday. All supporting materials, ACT/SAT scores, transcripts and references are due Oct. 15.

For questions, call 419-354-8700.

Sheriff talks to Rotarians

The Bowling Green Rotary Club guest speaker on Thursday will be Wood County Sheriff Mark Wasylyshyn.

His parents are Ukrainians and English is the second language for him. He will speak about his personal perspective on Ukraine.

The club meets at noon on Thursday at Bowling Green Country Club.

Civil service commission meets

The Bowling Green Civil Service Commission will meet at 3 p.m. on Tuesday in the human resources department, on the top floor of the City Administrative Services Building, 304 N. Church St.

The purpose of the meeting is to review, modify, add and/or recommend changes to civil service rules, take all actions necessary to establish eligibility and certified lists, establishing testing procedures and processes, establishing passing examination scores, accept requests to waive out of hiring processes, and/or certify names of candidates deemed eligible for consideration for hire or promotion to classified positions.

Action will also be taken, as necessary, to modify, add, accept or abolish job descriptions, and to establish classified positions and/or schedule and/or establish the requirements for or types of hiring or promotional examinations.

Pemberville’s Garden Party celebrates fall

PEMBERVILLE — Fall has arrived, along with Pemberville’s last Garden Party of the season on Tuesday from 5-8 p.m.

Vendors will line the downtown business district, offering fresh produce, home goods and décor, and plants.

From 5-8 p.m., enjoy a ride in a horse-drawn carriage. The cost is $35 for up to 4 adults. Call 419-287-3274 to reserve.

Lyle Diefenthaler will provide live music on acoustic guitar and vocals.

Country Farmhouse out of Wayne, will once provide fresh entrees. Preorders for a sandwich or a salad may be placed in advance by calling 419-287-3274.

Forecast

Today: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 68. South wind 6 to 8 mph.

Tonight: A slight chance of showers before 2 a.m., then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 2 and 5 a.m., then a chance of showers after 5 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. South wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Sunday: Showers likely, with thunderstorms also possible after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 67. West wind 7 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms at night. Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. West wind 10 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Extended: A slight chance of showers Monday, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. A chance of showers before 8 p.m. Mostly cloudy at night, with a low around 48. Chance of precipitation is 30%. A chance of showers after 2 p.m. Tuesday. Partly sunny, with a high near 59. Chance of precipitation is 40%. A chance of showers before 8 p,m. Partly cloudy at night, with a low around 44. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Mostly sunny Wednesday, with a high near 60. Mostly clear at night, with a low around 43. Sunny Thursday, with a high near 63. Mostly clear at night, with a low around 44. Mostly sunny Friday, with a high near 66.