‘No easy answer’: Many ask what next in Breonna Taylor case

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — In the wake of the decision not to prosecute Kentucky police officers for killing
Breonna Taylor, authorities and activists alike wrestled Thursday with the question of what comes next
amid continued demands for justice in the Black woman’s death.
"The question obviously is: What do we do with this pain?" Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said
during a news conference. "There is no one answer, no easy answer to that question."
Fischer pleaded for calm a day after peaceful protests in Louisville turned violent, and a gunman shot
and wounded two police officers. Activists, who were back out chanting Taylor’s name and marching for a
second night, vowed to press on with their cause after a grand jury Wednesday didn’t bring homicide
charges against the officers who burst into her apartment during a drug investigation in March.
Taylor, an emergency medical worker, was shot multiple times by white officers after Taylor’s boyfriend
fired at them, authorities said. He said he didn’t know who was coming in and opened fire in
self-defense. Police entered on a warrant connected to a suspect who did not live there, and no drugs
were found inside.
State Attorney General Daniel Cameron said the investigation showed officers acted in self-defense; one
was wounded. A single officer was charged Wednesday with wanton endangerment for firing into neighboring
The only possibility for criminal charges against the officers for the killing itself seems to rest with
the U.S. Justice Department. The FBI is still investigating whether Taylor’s civil rights were violated.
But the burden of proof for such cases is very high, with prosecutors having to prove officers knew they
were acting illegally and made a willful decision to cause someone’s death.
The Justice Department has said that a "mistake, fear, misperception or even poor judgment does not
constitute willful conduct prosecutable under the statute."
Returning Thursday to the park in downtown Louisville that has been the hub for protesters, Reginique
Jones said she’ll keep pressing for increased police accountability and for a statewide ban on "no
knock" warrants — the kind issued in the Taylor case, though Cameron said the investigation showed
police did announce themselves before entering.
"I believe that we are going to get past this," Jones said. "We can still get some
Taylor’s family planned to weigh in at a news conference scheduled for Friday morning in the park that’s
become known as Injustice Square.
Demonstrators continued to gather there Thursday, while others marched through downtown, where streets
were barricaded and speakers warned people they’d be violating a nighttime curfew.
Kenyatta Hicks said he’s encouraged by increasingly diverse crowds that have turned out to protest.
"Nobody should give up," Hicks said.
Activists, celebrities and everyday Americans have called for charges against police since Taylor’s
death. Along with George Floyd, a Black man killed by police in Minneapolis, Taylor’s name became a
rallying cry during nationwide protests this summer that called out entrenched racism and demanded
police reform.
The grand jury’s decision set off a new wave of protests in U.S. cities, some of them marred by violence,
including officers injured in Seattle and police detaining a man in Denver for driving through a group
of protesters, though none were reported injured.
Louisville’s mayor has instituted a curfew through the weekend, and Gov. Andy Beshear called up the
National Guard for "limited missions." Protesters streamed through the streets, blocking an
intersection where cars honked and a man leaned out the sunroof of a stopped car, his fist extended and
shouted, "Black lives matter." The crowd was calm.
Earlier, it got heated between some protesters and a group of 12 to 15 armed white people wearing
military-style uniforms, but it didn’t turn physical.
Peaceful protests a night earlier gave way to fires set in garbage cans, damage to several vehicles and
thefts at stores. Then, two officers were shot.
Larynzo D. Johnson, 26, was charged, and an arrest citation said police had video of him opening fire.
Court records did not list a lawyer for Johnson, who was scheduled to be in court Friday.
The two officers were "doing well and will survive their injuries," interim Police Chief Robert
Schroeder said.
Maj. Aubrey Gregory was shot in the hip and has been released from the hospital. Officer Robinson
Desroches was shot in the abdomen and underwent surgery.
Taylor’s case has exposed the wide gulf between public opinion on justice for those who kill Black
Americans and the laws under which those officers are charged, which regularly favor police.
Since Taylor’s killing, Louisville has taken some steps to address protesters’ concerns. The officer who
was eventually charged has been fired, and three others were put on desk duty. Officials have banned
no-knock warrants and hired a Black woman as the new permanent police chief — a first for the city.
Last week, the city agreed to more police reforms as part of a settlement that included a $12 million
payment to Taylor’s family. But many have expressed frustration that more has not been done.
A grand jury returned three charges of wanton endangerment against Officer Brett Hankison that each
carries a sentence of up to five years. The other officers involved weren’t charged.
Hankison’s attorney, David Leightty, did not return calls requesting comment. But he’s previously said
Hankison’s firing in June was a "cowardly political act."
Trump told reporters Thursday that the case was a "sad thing."
"I give my regards to the family of Breonna. I also think it’s so sad what’s happening with
everything about that case, including law enforcement," he said.
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and his running mate, Kamala Harris, called for policing
In the Louisville square where protesters have repeatedly gathered, Rose Henderson has been looking after
the flowers, signs and letters placed at a memorial there for Taylor and hopes officials won’t try to
remove them.
"We’re going to stay out here and hold this place," Henderson said.