Fire levels storage barn

NORTHWOOD – Numerous area fire departments assisted in battling a massive and explosive barn blaze on
Andrus Road in the city Sunday night and into this morning.
The cause remains under investigation.
According to information posted on their Facebook page, Northwood Stations 82 and 83 were dispatched
around 9:30 p.m. on the report of a large amount of smoke in the area of the 100 block of Andrus Road.

The call was immediately upgraded to a working fire bringing in automatic aid from Rossford. A large barn
was fully-involved upon the arrival of crews to the scene.
Several explosions occurred on scene that were reportedly heard throughout the city. The barn, which
contained no livestock and was used for storage, was known to store numerous old vehicles and multiple
drums of flammable liquids.
That area of Andrus Road is one of the remaining roads in Northwood without hydrants; as a result,
multiple other local departments were dispatched to assist with water tankers and manpower. The closest
fire hydrant for crews to use was nearly one-fifth of a mile away.
A nearby business, Harp Contractors, was reportedly threatened by the blaze, but sustained no damage.
A call was made to the Toledo Oil Refining Company (formerly known as Sun Oil) for their foam rig. They
sent an engine crew and their battalion chief to assist.
No injuries were reported in the incident.
In addition to Northwood, Rossford, and Toledo Oil, other departments assisting were Lake Township,
Oregon, Perrysburg Township, Perrysburg City, and Troy Township. The Allen-Clay Joint Fire District and
Toledo Fire Department also provided additional help.
"I just wanted to recognize them," said Northwood Fire Chief Joel Whitmore this morning, who
offered his thanks to the assisting departments.
Fire units were assisted on scene by the Northwood Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary and the
Rossford Fire/Rescue Explorer Post 790. The Ladies Auxiliary provided refreshments and food on scene,
while the Explorers assisted on scene with stretching hose lines and changing out air bottles. The
Explorers were also to return to assist with re-packing hose and cleaning up this morning.
The bulk of the units cleared the scene before 2:30 a.m. Engine 83 remained on scene for fire watch.