|Youth Briefs: 10-03-13|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Thursday, 03 October 2013 08:51|
Reading at the library with a Star Wars theme
Families are invited to a Star Wars celebration in the Children's Place of the Wood County District Public Library on Saturday from 1 to 3 p.m.
Star Wars Reads Day will be celebrated in libraries and bookstores around the country for the second year.
Everyone is encouraged to come in costume. Activities will include stories, origami, games, crafts and treats.
The Children's Place knows that many readers use the Force to improve their reading skills.
One of the most popular booklists in the Children's Place is the Star Wars list featuring board books, early readers, chapter books, fiction and nonfiction Star Wars books. Star Wars books take readers to a Galaxy far, far away.
For more information, contact the Children's Place at 419-352-8253.
North Baltimore Cub Scouts selling popcorn door-to-door
NORTH BALTIMORE - The North Baltimore Cub Scout Pack 372 has begun selling popcorn as part of its annual fund-raiser.
Scouts will be going door-to-door selling varieties of popcorn, with the cost starting at $10.
The scouts are trying to raise money for camp, pack events and badges.
Give seashells to park district
Seashells from the ocean are needed for a science program planned by the Wood County Park District.
The seashells will be crushed and used to teach kids about rocks/calcium carbonate. They need to be from an ocean and not freshwater.
Donations can be dropped off at Park District Headquarters or W.W. Knight Nature Preserve.
Zoo has Halloween programs
TOLEDO - The Toledo Zoo has several programs scheduled for this month.
• On Tuesday, Animal Myth Busters, for ages 3-4 years old, will be held. Some animals are born with bad reputations, but many of them help us out in exciting ways. Overcome fears and discover the nicer side of these animals with stories, songs, games, crafts and zoo animal visits.
• Oct. 12 is Science Day. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., explore science at Nature's Neighborhood.
• Oct. 17 and 18 is Little Boo at the Zoo from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Presented on a smaller scale that's just right for little ones, it features trick-or-treat stations and games.
• Oct. 19 and 20 will feature the Pumpkin Patch from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be trick-or-treat stations, games and magic shows.
• Oct. 26 and 27 is Jumping Pumpkins from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Animals get pumpkins.
For more information, visit toledozoo.org.
Front Page Stories
|Faculty, Mazey face off
12/06/2013 | DAVID DUPONT, Sentinel Staff Writer
File photo. BGSU President Mary Ellen Mazey. (Photo: Enoch Wu/Sentinel-Tribune) A [ ... ]
|Perrysburg teachers approve contract|
12/06/2013 | ALEX ASPACHER, Sentinel Staff Writer
PERRYSBURG - The teachers union ratified a new contract Thursday night, which may be a [ ... ]