|With cold, icy weather continuing, safety tips offered|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Friday, 24 January 2014 09:45|
COLUMBUS - Weather forecasters have predicted a continuation of the frigid cold, ice and blowing snow that have been creating hazardous conditions on Ohio's roads and sidewalks.
STEADY U Ohio, the state's new older adult falls prevention initiative, reminds all Ohioans that there are simple steps they can take to protect themselves and their loved ones from slips, trips and falls that could lead to injury.
The most obvious threat for falls during the winter may be ice and snow. To stay safe:
• Wear boots and shoes that fit properly and have soles with bumps and grooves for good traction.
• Slow down. You may want to rush to get out of the conditions, but when you do, you are more likely to lose your balance.
• Make sure steps leading into your home have sturdy handrails that can support you if you slip.
•Watch for slippery surfaces ahead of you. Keep your head up and use your eyes to look down.
• Don't try to walk in more than an inch of snow. Deeper accumulations can cause you to trip.
• Clean up ice and snow tracked indoors and immediately remove wet footwear.
Wintry weather can contribute to falls in other ways, such as:
• Reduced activity - Wintry conditions outside may keep you inside, and limit your activity. Stay active all year round by doing exercise that builds strength and balance.
• Tripping hazards - Things we do to keep our homes warm in winter can create tripping hazards. Keep space heaters and blankets out of walkways. If you must use throw rugs on cold floors, secure them to the floor with tape.
• Winter clothing - Coats, gloves, hats and other winter clothing are designed to keep us warm, but items that are bulky, don't fit well or could catch on objects can increase risk of falling.
Front Page Stories
|Women still rare in local politics
03/13/2014 | KAREN NADLER COTA Sentinel Lifestyles Editor
File photo. Doris Herringshaw. (Photo: J.D. Pooley/Sentinel-Tribune) PERRYSBURG - [ ... ]
|Calamity days create chaos|
03/13/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune Staff
File photo. A student walks home from school during a winter storm. (Photo: Enoch Wu/Sen [ ... ]