As the heat of the summer is fully upon us, many area churches are heating up the youth in their congregations by holding Vacation Bible Schools or similar events in July.
| Rudolph Christian Church Vacation Bible School attendees Rose Walters (middle) and Kylie Delany (right) sing songs during an evening of activities at the church June 20, 2013. (Photo: Enoch Wu/Sentinel-Tribune)
One of the upcoming month's programs will be held at the Bowling Green City Park July 22-25.
Members of First Baptist Church of Bowling Green are extending the invitation for all the youth in the community to venture "deep into the Amazon Rainforest'" as the young participants go on expedition with God in the "Jungle Jaunt" VBS.
The program is for those age 4 through sixth grade. Organizers say the kids will "jaunt through adventure-filled Bible stories, create cool rainforest crafts, enjoy rainforest rations, and ride the recreation rapids."
The program begins each day at 6:30 p.m. and conclude at 8 p.m. For more information, call (419) 352-0417 or visit www.meetJesushere.org.
Other VBS programs slated for July include (listed by order of date being held):
• The VBS at St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church, New Rochester will run from July 7-11, from 6-8 p.m. It will be held for potty-trained toddlers age 3 and up through children that have just finished the sixth grade. "Everywhere Fun Fair" is the theme this year which organizers are hoping to be lots of fun. The program includes games, singing, snacks and learning about God. For information, call the church office (419) 287-4731. Everyone is welcome.
• Haskins Community Church and St. Paul Lutheran Church will be hosting "Kingdom Rock," a community Vacation Bible School program, at Haskins Community Church, 209 W. Main St., Haskins, July 8-11 from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. At Kingdom Rock children will discover they can always stand strong for God through God's love, family and friends, prayer, trusting God, and the Bible.
The program is designed for preschoolers through fifth grade students. Participants will work with crafts, team-building games, Bible songs, and treats each evening. To pre-register, call Haskins Community Church at (419) 823-1972 or St. Paul Lutheran Church at (419) 823-1731.
* Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, Perrysburg, invites community and area children age 4 through grade 3 to Vacation Bible School at the church, 13101 Five Point Road, Perrysburg.
The theme of this year's program is "From Above," and will be held July 8 to 12 from 9 to 11:30 a.m. There will be Bible stories, crafts, games, and snacks. The program is free.
For more information or to register in advance, call the church office at (419) 874-6939 or email
|Pastor Larry Garzony of Rudolph Christian Church, waits to entertain children at the church's Vacation Bible School.
• Trinity United Methodist Church, Bloomdale, will hold its "Kingdom Rocks" Vacation Bible School July 8-12 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Daycare will be provided for younger siblings of attending VBS families. Reservations are requested by Tuesday. The VBS is designed for those in pre-school through high school.
• Trinity United Methodist Church, Bowling Green, is taking a trip to "Athens" for its Vacation Bible School this year. Children age 4 through seventh grade will take a journey to far away lands as they learn about the many travels of the Apostle Paul.
They will visit Paul's home where he will tell them stories about his work and the people he met, go to the marketplace where they will try delicious new foods and learn new skills like creating a clay pot, and they will play arena games like the Olympic discus throw and a chariot race.
Each day children will face new experiences as they learn about Paul's journey to share the Gospel. There is also a special mission project for the week, which will be collecting items for the Cocoon Shelter in Bowling Green.
The school will be held July 14-18, from 5:45 to 8:15 p.m. The experience is free and open to anyone who would like to attend. Registration is available online at the church website, www.bgtrinity.com, or by phone at (419) 353-9031. Children who are registered before VBS week will receive a free gift, but pre-registration is not required to participate. The church is located at 200 N. Summit St., Bowling Green.
• A weekend Vacation Bible School will be held for the Pemberville Community July 19 - 20 from 6 - 8:30 p.m.
Pemberville United Methodist Church, 205 Perry St., will host the "Hay Day! Growing in Friendship With Jesus" event.
There will also be a Sunday Celebration at 11 a.m. For more information contact Cherie Runnels at (419) 287-4554.
• Zoar Lutheran Church, Perrysburg will hold its "Kingdom Rocks" Vacation Bible School July 15-19 from 9 a.m. to noon each day. The school is for those ages 3 through sixth grade.
• Cygnet Faith United Methodist Church will hold its "God's Backyard Bible Camp: Under the Stars" program July 21-25 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The school is open to those ages 4 through sixth grade. For more information, call Sue Shank at (419) 353-4415.
• Blessed John XXIII Catholic Community, Perrysburg, will hold its "Kingdom Rock" VBS program July 16-19 from 6 to 8 p.m. Additional information and registration may be found at www.blessedjohn.org.
• St. Luke's Lutheran Church, North Baltimore, will hold its "God's Backyard Bible Camp: Under the Stars" from July 21-25. Registration forms are available at http://tinyurl.com/stlukesvbs. The VBS is open to the community.
• Church of the Good Shepherd, 5589 Holcomb Road, Wayne, will present its Vacation Bible School "SonWest Roundup" July 22-24 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. It is open those age 4 through sixth grade and will be held nightly from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. There will be a closing program July 25 from 6 to 8 p.m., including a community dinner and games.
To register call (419) 575-5759.
• Bradner United Methodist Church and King's Parish will hold a one-day Bible School on July 25 at Bradner Park.
Registration starts at 11 a.m. followed by a lunch at 11:30. The Bible school will end at 6 p.m. with a parent/child program followed by dinner for all.
The theme is based on "Daniel's Courage in Captivity."
Ages are potty-trained preschool youth and up.
There will be Bible stories, crafts, music, games and swimming if weather allows.
Participants are encouraged to wear a bathing suit and bring a towel.
To register or with questions, call and leave a message at (419) 601-1046.