|2014 Good Friday services slated|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Friday, 11 April 2014 09:19|
The Bowling Green Ministerial Association has set its plans for the Good Friday Community Service called "A Good Friday Pilgrimage" on April 18. It will feature four distinct worship experiences joined by processionals between the churches following the cross.
Everyone is invited to come to any of the sections or all of them. This will enable those churches who have their own worship that day to also participate in at least one or two sections of the community event and give working persons the choice of daytime or evening.
Persons who are unable to walk the distances are welcome to come to attend any or all of the services without walking in the processions. The processionals will take place rain or shine, so participants may want to bring an umbrella, depending on what the weather holds.
The tentative schedule of the Bowling Green event follows. Information on other Good Friday services are then listed.
Good Friday Pilgrimage
1. The Pilgrimage will begin at noon at Trinity United Methodist Church, 200 N. Summit St., where the congregations will join in the Proclamation of the Passion Story and The Ten Reproaches: Christ's Lament Against His Faithless Church.
2. At around 12:45 p.m., those who are able, will walk to First Presbyterian Church, 126 S. Church St., following the cross.
3. At 1 p.m. attendees will remember the Seven Last Words of Christ. The Presbyterian church will host as seven churches will present short pieces of scripture, prayer and music.
4. At 1:45 p.m., the procession will proceed to St. Aloysius Catholic Church, 150 S. Enterprise.
5. At 2 p.m. participants will observe the Stations of the Cross at St. Aloysius. The service will be "The Folly of God" by Seiger Koder, a contemporary art meditation on the traditional stations.
6. When the service is over the procession will return to Trinity which will allow those who participated to return to presumably where their cars are parked.
• There will be a pause in the service at this time.
7. At 7:30 p.m. the procession will resume from Trinity to St Mark's Lutheran Church, 315 S. College Drive. This is a longer walk and it will be twilight.
8. At 8 p.m. there will be a candlelight Tenebrae/Service of Darkness at St. Mark's.
Peace Lutheran Church will hold its "Reflection on the Cross" at 7 p.m.
In addition to the participation in the community services above, St. Aloysius will have meditative music at 11:30 a.m. followed by a noon service.
St. Thomas More University Parish will hold Stations of the Cross at both 3 and 6 p.m.
St. James Lutheran Church will hold its service at 7:30 p.m.
St. Louis Catholic Parish will have a 7 p.m. liturgy of the word with veneration of the cross and communion service.
Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church will hold a service at 7:30 p.m.
St. Patrick Catholic Church-Providence, will hold its Way of the Cross (Stations) at 1:30 p.m. The 2 p.m. liturgy will feature the liturgy of the word, veneration of the cross and a communion service.
The Tenebrae service for Haskins Community Church will be held at 7 p.m.
St. Paul Lutheran Church will hold a "Service of Tenebrae" at 7 p.m.
St. Paul Lutheran Church will hold its service at 7:30 p.m.
St. Luke's Lutheran Church will commemorate the Crucifixion of Jesus at noon.
There are four worship services scheduled in Pemberville. Bethlehem Lutheran will hold worship services at both 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Otterbein Portage Valley will host a Tenebrae worship at 2 p.m. SonFire By the River will hold a worship 7 p.m.
Blessed John XXIII will hold its Mass at 7 p.m.
St. Rose Catholic Church will host a community ecumenical service at 7 a.m. It will also hold its Liturgy of the Lord's Passion at 2 p.m; with Solemn Vespers at 7 p.m.
St. Timothy's Episcopal Church will hold a service at 7 p.m.
Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church will hold a service at 7 p.m.
Zoar Lutheran Church will hold a community ecumenical service at noon and a "Service of Darkness" at 7 p.m.
St. John's Lutheran Church will hold a Tenebrae service at 7:30 p.m.
Mt. Zion United Brethren Church will hold its service at 7 p.m. The theme will be "Focusing on the Cross."
Wayne United Methodist Church will hold its service at 7:30 p.m.
Front Page Stories
|Body of BGSU student found
07/23/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune Staff
A missing poster for Cory Barron, is posted on a light pole along West 6th Street in Cle [ ... ]
|Chinese lanterns may have ignited fire|
07/23/2014 | PETER KUEBECK, Sentinel Staff Writer
File photo. A firefighter is seen near a fire engulfing a pallet yard on West Broadway S [ ... ]