|Sports Briefs: 05-01-13|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Wednesday, 01 May 2013 09:57|
Owens honors athletes
Women's soccer player Kendra Eitniear and men's basketball player James Kelly were named the Owens Community College female and male athletes of the year.
Eitniear finished her career as the program's leading career scorer. She was named NJCAA D-I Honorable Mention All-American this past season.
Kelly earned NJCAA D-II All-American honors this past season after becoming the first player in school history to achieve at least 1,000 points, 600 rebounds, 100 steals and 100 blocks in his career.
Other awards presented were:
• Volleyball: MVP, Alyssa Meis; Coaches Award, Molly Hilfinger;
• Men's Soccer: MVP, Nickyle Webber; Coaches Award, David Ortega-Gonzalez;
• Softball: MVP, Olivia Reeder; Coaches Award, Mareshah Scott;
• Baseball: MVP, Logan Shullick; Coaches Award, Kody McCall;
• Men's Basketball: MVP, Kelly; Coaches Award, Jay Marquette, a Rossford native;
• Women's Basketball: MVP, Mackenzie Heacock; Coaches Award, Karahn Scott; Mark Henry Award, Bailee Adams;
• Women's Soccer: MVP, Jill Burkholder; Coaches Award, Marissa Ramirez, from Northwood High School;
• Men's Golf: MVP, Blaze Hogan; Coaches Award, Darren Gessner.
BGSU's Pleger earns MAC honor
CLEVELAND - Bowling Green State University's Brooke Pleger has been named the Mid-American Conference's women's field athlete of the week.
A redshirt sophomore, Pleger won the hammer throw at the Ashland Alumni Open with a toss of 215-7, her second-longest throw of the year. Only six other collegiate hammer throwers have exceeded that mark this year.
Pleger ranks No. 5 in the country and is the only MAC athlete ranked that high in an event this year.
Links Lasses set meeting
The Links Lassies women's golf league at Forrest Creason Golf Course is planning a membership meeting Tuesday at 8:30 a.m. in the clubhouse at the course.
The league is seeking new members and anyone interested can attend the meeting.
After the meeting a fun round is planned.
For more information contact Kay (419) 352-3445 or Joan (419) 352-0955.
Front Page Stories
|Elmwood hires firm to design band room
04/15/2014 | MARIE THOMAS BAIRD Sentinel Education Editor
File photo. Elmwood High School students fill the band room during practice. (Photo: J.D [ ... ]
|Rossford to vote on ditching TARTA|
04/15/2014 | DAVID DUPONT Sentinel Staff Writer
ROSSFORD - Barring any intervening legal action, Rossford residents will get a chance [ ... ]