|To the Editor: What's not to like about a bike path?|
|Written by Penny Evans-Meyer|
|Thursday, 05 July 2012 11:41|
I was surprised to read the negative response to the proposed bike trail linking the community center to the high school. What’s not to like about a bike path? Do bikes pollute? No, they have no exhaust. Do bikes make noise? No, there is no motor. Do bikers drink, litter or play loud music while biking? Generally not, bikers are busy pedaling to get to their destination. Here are some other statistics: (bikesbelong.org)
• Most of our car trips are short, 50 percent are less than 3 miles. Biking Is Ideal for Short Trips.
• Drivers purchase 15 billion dollars worth of gas each year and waste 4.8 billion hours sitting in traffic congestion. Biking Saves Money.
• Homes are valued up to 10 percent higher if there are near a bike path. Bike Paths Are Highly Regarded.
• Biking can help you live longer. Individuals that bike have better weight, blood pressure and insulin levels. Bikers Stay Healthy.
• The bike industry supports 1.1 million jobs, sells 14.9 million bikes and generates $1.8 billion in taxes each year. Biking Boosts the Economy.
• The average household spends $8,758 per year to own and operate a car or more than they spend on food. Biking Helps Family Budgets.
What’s not to like about a bike path? If we want our town to thrive, we should do everything we can to promote biking. If you don’t bike, it may be time to try it, you will save money, feel better and enjoy the ride.
Front Page Stories
|Plant to shut down (5-24-13)
05/24/2013 | Sentinel-Tribune
PERRYSBURG - The Diamond Crystal Brands plant in Perrysburg Township will be closing this summer, af [ ... ]
|Owens may hike tuition (5-24-13)|
05/24/2013 | MARIE THOMAS BAIRD, Sentinel Education Editor
There likely will be a tuition increase for Owens Community College students thi [ ... ]