|To the Editor: Cygnet woman pleased with response to bald eagle death|
|Written by Vickie Askins|
|Wednesday, 02 October 2013 09:11|
I’m sorry to report we found a young bald eagle electrocuted on a power pole a couple weeks ago. I notified American Electric Power and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
A few hours later an AEP truck pulled in and the service man got the eaglet down. Soon thereafter, an ODNR wildlife officer showed up. He very respectfully folded the fledgling’s wings and placed the carcass in his truck. He showed us the burn on its leg and said they would do testing and then send it to the National Eagle Repository in Colorado and the feathers would be distributed to the Native American community.
AEP representatives came back out a week later and modified the top of the pole. They told us to let them know if we saw other eagles sitting on any of the other poles in the area because they would modify those poles as well to prevent this from happening again.
I was very appreciative of the quick and compassionate response by the ODNR and AEP.
Front Page Stories
|Body of BGSU student found
07/23/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune Staff
A missing poster for Cory Barron, is posted on a light pole along West 6th Street in Cle [ ... ]
|Chinese lanterns may have ignited fire|
07/23/2014 | PETER KUEBECK, Sentinel Staff Writer
File photo. A firefighter is seen near a fire engulfing a pallet yard on West Broadway S [ ... ]