OH-MI-IN News
Sheriff: Heart attack causes 8-vehicle crash
Written by Associated Press   
Monday, 19 May 2014 21:10
ALEXANDRIA, Ind. (AP) — A central Indiana sheriff says a semitrailer driver's heart attack triggered an eight-vehicle crash that sent five people to hospitals.

Madison County Sheriff Ron Richardson said the semitrailer driver and four people from other vehicles were taken to hospitals following the crash Monday morning at the Intersection of Indiana 9 and Indiana 28 in Alexandria, about 40 miles northeast of Indianapolis.

Richardson told The Herald Bulletin (http://bit.ly/1lVYcTt ) the accident happened when the semitrailer, which was northbound on Indiana 9, struck two vehicles south of the intersection. The truck continued through the intersection, crossed into the southbound lane and struck a third vehicle, causing a chain collision with four other stopped, southbound vehicles.

 
Officer charged in deadly crash appears in court
Written by Associated Press   
Monday, 19 May 2014 21:09
ANDERSON, Ind. (AP) — A judge entered a not-guilty plea and ordered restrictions Monday for a suspended central Indiana police officer charged with causing a crash that killed a man and injured his pregnant wife.

Madison Circuit Judge David Happe ordered Edgewood Officer James Foutch to abstain from driving and alcohol while appearing weekly for drug tests and to report any drugs prescribed by a doctor.

Authorities say the 41-year-old Foutch was off duty and under the influence of an anti-anxiety drug and a painkiller when his SUV going 92 mph plowed into the rear of a car and sent it into a utility pole along Indiana 32 west of Anderson. The April 6 crash killed Jesse Sperry, 23, of Noblesville and injured his wife, Rebecca Sperry, 22, as they drove home from church. Rebecca Sperry gave birth to a daughter by emergency C-section that day at an Indianapolis hospital.

Read more...
 
Pence pitches health plan in DC, says not Medicaid
Written by TOM LoBIANCO, Associated Press   
Monday, 19 May 2014 21:05
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The health insurance expansion Gov. Mike Pence is touting relies on federal Medicaid money and meets federal Medicaid requirements, but the Republican governor insists it's not Medicaid.

Pence is asking the federal government to pay for an expansion of the state's Healthy Indiana Plan, saying his plan is much better than traditional Medicaid. He took his pitch to Washington on Monday, unequivocally telling an audience gathered at the conservative American Enterprise Institute that his plan is nothing short of Medicaid reform.

"Last week, my administration announced plans to submit a waiver to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to replace traditional Medicaid in Indiana for all able-bodied adults with an expanded version of the Healthy Indiana Plan," he said.

Read more...
 
Indiana toxicology lab still faces long backlog
Written by Associated Press   
Monday, 19 May 2014 21:08
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The state's agency for drug and alcohol tests in criminal cases has an eight-month backlog, although its director says it is making changes that should improve its performance.

The Indiana Department of Toxicology has struggled with staff turnover and other troubles before it was moved out of the Indiana University School of Medicine in 2012. Its caseload grew from nearly 6,000 tests in 2012 to almost 6,700 last year.

Agency Director Ed Littlejohn told The Indianapolis Star (http://indy.st/Safthr ) he believes changes are taking hold since he started leading the department two years ago.

"When I took this position, I felt it would be three to five years before this agency was going to be where I felt it should be," he said. "I think we're doing a lot of positives, but you're not going to change everything overnight. It takes time."

Read more...
 
Appeals court: Students can sue over school attack
Written by Associated Press   
Monday, 19 May 2014 21:03
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Indiana Court of Appeals says two students hurt in a school shooting can sue the school district over their injuries.

The court ruled Monday a trial must be held to determine whether the Metropolitan School District of Martinsville is liable for the injuries suffered by Chance Jackson, then 15, and another student in the March 25, 2011, shooting at Martinsville West Middle School. Jackson was hospitalized for several weeks and required multiple surgeries.

The two victims argued the school district knew former student Michael Phelps had threatened Jackson and should have taken more precautions to prevent the attack.

Last Updated on Monday, 19 May 2014 21:05
Read more...
 
<< Start < Prev 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 Next > End >>

Page 109 of 323

Front Page Stories

Body of BGSU student found
07/23/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune Staff
article thumbnail

A missing poster for Cory Barron, is posted on a light pole along West 6th Street in Cle [ ... ]


Chinese lanterns may have ignited fire
07/23/2014 | PETER KUEBECK, Sentinel Staff Writer
article thumbnail

File photo. A firefighter is seen near a fire engulfing a pallet yard on West Broadway S [ ... ]


Other Front Page Articles