OH-MI-IN News
Ohio man who served in WWII gets medal
Written by Associated Press   
Tuesday, 24 December 2013 12:12

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — A 91-year-old Ohio man has been recognized for his World War II service with a Congressional Gold Medal.

John Lee Cooper was one of about 20,000 African-American recruits trained to become Marines at Montford Point, N.C., adjacent to Camp Lejeune, between 1942 and 1949.

Like the Tuskegee Airmen, the Montford Point Marines served in segregated units separate from their white counterparts. After boot camp, Cooper was sent to the Pacific theater during the war.

"It means everything to me," Cooper said Monday at the Hospice of Dayton, where the ceremony was held. "I thought maybe they had forgotten about me."

Cooper heard a presidential proclamation and congressional and mayoral letters read during the ceremony in his honor.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 December 2013 12:13
Read more...
 
Body in NE Ohio field was suspect in sex abuse case
Written by Associated Press   
Tuesday, 24 December 2013 12:11

ELYRIA, Ohio (AP) — Police say a body found in a northeastern Ohio cornfield is that of a man who was being investigated in a child sex abuse case.

A coroner in Lorain County says the man found dead two weeks ago was Jeffrey Cannon of Elyria. He'd been missing since September.

A cause of death has not been determined.

Police in Elyria tell the Morning Journal in Lorain (http://bit.ly/1gUqNZ1 ) that Cannon was a suspect in a sexual abuse case involving two 8-year-old children before he came up missing.

Police say Cannon had been questioned by investigators and was supposed to talk with detectives again.

A farmer plowing a field found Cannon's body on Dec. 11 in Elyria, a little over 25 miles west of Cleveland.

___

Information from: The Morning Journal, http://www.morningjournal.com


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 
Ohio man gets 48 years for shooting at police
Written by Associated Press   
Tuesday, 24 December 2013 08:43

CANTON, Ohio (AP) — A northeast Ohio man has been sentenced to 48 years for shooting at police officers who came to his house on a report that he was suicidal.

Steven P. Bubenchik apologized for his actions before the sentencing Monday in Stark County Common Pleas Court in Canton.

The 40-year-old Massillon man was convicted earlier this month of five of seven counts, including one count of attempted murder and three counts of felonious assault and accompanying firearms specifications.

The (Massillon) Independent (http://bit.ly/1fDScum ) reports that the officers were among those who responded to Bubenchik's home Aug. 8 for a welfare check after his estranged wife called saying her husband was suicidal.

He'll return to court Monday for a hearing on two rape allegations involving children.

___

Information from: The Independent, http://www.indeonline.com


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 
Walnut-tree disease leads to Ohio quarantine
Written by Associated Press   
Tuesday, 24 December 2013 08:44

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — State agriculture officials are trying to keep a deadly walnut-tree disease from spreading from a southwestern Ohio county.

Officials say Butler County, north of Cincinnati, will be subject to a first-ever quarantine to keep thousand cankers disease from spreading. The quarantine, which goes into effect on Thursday, prohibits moving live walnut trees, lumber and wood out of the county.

The Ohio Department of Agriculture first confirmed the presence of thousand cankers disease in Butler County walnut trees in August. That came after the discovery of the insects known to carry the fungus, walnut twig beetles, in late 2012 and again in June.

State forestry officials estimate the value of black walnut at about $1.2 billion. That ranks the state No.?3 in the nation for overall black walnut inventory.


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 
Thousands remain without power in Michigan
Written by DAVID N. GOODMAN, Associated Press   
Tuesday, 24 December 2013 07:37

DETROIT (AP) — Hundreds of thousands of Michigan residents remained without power Monday after a weekend ice storm blacked out at least 488,000 homes and businesses, made driving hazardous and may have caused a jetliner with 180 people on board to slide off a taxiway at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

The wintry blast hit Saturday night, and three of the state's largest utilities said about 314,000 of their customers remained without service Monday afternoon.

The utilities said it would be days before most power is restored because of the difficulty of working around ice-broken lines. Clinton and Genesee county authorities were among those who opened shelters for residents without power or heat.

DTE Energy Co. said that work was underway to restore service to 88,000 blacked-out customers Monday afternoon out of about 150,000 affected since the storms hit.

"Crews are working 16-hour shifts around the clock to restore power," DTE Energy spokeswoman Erica Donerson said in an email. "Nearly 400 linemen from utilities in West Virginia, Indiana, Ohio and Georgia are assisting with restoration efforts."

CMS Energy Corp. said that 303,000 of its Consumers Energy unit's power customers were affected, and 183,000 remained off line at 9:30 p.m. Monday.

Read more...
 
<< Start < Prev 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 Next > End >>

Page 299 of 324

Front Page Stories

Body of BGSU student found
07/23/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune Staff
article thumbnail

A missing poster for Cory Barron, is posted on a light pole along West 6th Street in Cle [ ... ]


Chinese lanterns may have ignited fire
07/23/2014 | PETER KUEBECK, Sentinel Staff Writer
article thumbnail

File photo. A firefighter is seen near a fire engulfing a pallet yard on West Broadway S [ ... ]


Other Front Page Articles