OH-MI-IN News
Girls spent days in Ohio apartment after dad died
Written by Associated Press   
Tuesday, 04 February 2014 07:17

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A central Ohio coroner still hasn't determined what killed a man whose two young daughters apparently spent several days in their apartment with his dead body.

Franklin County coroner Dr. Jan Gorniak tells The Columbus Dispatch (http://bit.ly/1kKiU7s ) that she is waiting on toxicology tests to help determine what caused the death of 48-year-old Earl Davis.

Columbus police said officers forced their way into the apartment last Thursday night and found Davis' body. His two daughters, ages 5 and 6, were hiding upstairs.

A neighbor told police that Davis had been missing about a week. The girls were taken to a hospital where they were determined to be unharmed. Child welfare officials will likely place them with relatives.

___

Information from: The Columbus Dispatch, http://www.dispatch.com


Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 
Another major snow on the way for Ohio
Written by Associated Press   
Tuesday, 04 February 2014 07:16

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Tired of snow yet? Hope not.

What could be the biggest snow storm to hit Ohio this season is on the way later Tuesday and early Wednesday.

Forecasters say most of the state could end up with another 6 to 10 inches of snow on the ground by the time it's all over. The heaviest snow is expected to be between 9 p.m. Tuesday and 2 a.m. Wednesday — meaning that the morning rush hour likely will be a big mess.

A winter storm warning will be in effect for nearly all of the state through Wednesday morning.

The storm comes on the heels of a major snowfall in southeastern Ohio Monday that closed schools and government offices, and left as much as 10 inches on the ground.


Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 
Nationwide alert issued for escaped Michigan prisoner
Written by Associated Press   
Monday, 03 February 2014 11:22
PrisonerEscapeMichi_Pool_rotator
Michael David Elliot

IONIA, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a nationwide alert has been issued for a convicted murderer serving life behind bars for four 1993 slayings who escaped from prison.

Michigan Department of Corrections Director Dan Heyns told reporters Monday morning at Ionia Correctional Facility in mid-Michigan that investigators believe 40-year-old Michael David Elliot isn't in the state.

Authorities say he apparently abducted a woman at an Ionia gas station who fled his grips when he stopped for gas in Indiana.

Heyns says Elliot was dressed in a white kitchen uniform, which might have helped him evade security. Heyns says Elliot wasn't a kitchen worker, however. The department says he was noticed missing about 9:30 p.m. Sunday.

Heyns says Elliot may have escaped about 6 p.m. or 7 p.m.


Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Last Updated on Monday, 03 February 2014 12:40
 
Police: Michigan escaped prisoner captured
Written by Associated Press   
Tuesday, 04 February 2014 07:05

IONIA, Mich. (AP) — A convicted killer who peeled a hole in two fences with his hands to escape from a Michigan prison before abducting a woman and fleeing to Indiana was captured Monday evening after a chase, authorities said.

Officials were stunned by the brazen escape Sunday night of Michael David Elliot, who had a record of good behavior during his 20 years in custody. He wore a white kitchen uniform to evade security and blend in with snow at the Ionia Correctional Facility in western Michigan, prisons spokesman Russ Marlan said.

Indiana State Police Sgt. Ron Galaviz said Elliot was captured in LaPorte County after a police chase.

That chase began after authorities there got a report of a car stolen from a factory in the city of LaPorte, said sheriff's Maj. John Boyd. A deputy who happened to be nearby spotted the stolen Chevrolet Monte Carlo "within a few seconds," Boyd said.

Authorities chased the car through the city and into a rural area of Kankakee Township several miles away, where law enforcement used stop sticks to disable the vehicle.

Read more...
 
$5 million bond for Toledo suspect in two firefighter deaths
Written by JOHN SEEWER, Associated Press   
Monday, 03 February 2014 11:18

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — An apartment building owner accused of setting a blaze that killed two Ohio firefighters has been ordered held on $5 million bond.

Ray Abou-Arab appeared Monday in Toledo Municipal Court, where a judge set bond on aggravated murder and arson charges.

The 61-year-old was arrested Friday and charged with starting the fire that killed a veteran firefighter and a rookie who got trapped inside.

A public defender representing the suspect didn't comment on the charges. Messages seeking comment have been left at Abou-Arab's home.

Dozens of firefighters packed the courtroom for the arraignment.

Court documents filed last week say Abou-Arab was in a garage at the site of the fire on Jan. 26 just before an apartment resident said she saw the blaze break out.


Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Last Updated on Monday, 03 February 2014 11:19
 
<< Start < Prev 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 Next > End >>

Page 241 of 321

Front Page Stories

Perrysburg approves levy proposal
07/21/2014 | Alex Aspacher

PERRYSBURG — The decision whether to build a new school will rest with voters in November, with th [ ... ]


Council approves gun ordinance language
07/21/2014 | PETER KUEBECK Sentinel City Editor

City council voted unanimously Monday on new guns in parks language that they hope will be a silver  [ ... ]


Other Front Page Articles