|EPA cleans up mercury spilled in Indiana home|
|Written by Associated Press|
|Sunday, 07 July 2013 06:43|
ELWOOD, Ind. (AP) — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says it's cleaned up toxic mercury that was spilled in an Indiana home.
Authorities say the liquid metal was spilled by the new owners of a home in Elwood as they were cleaning out a garage.
The Herald Bulletin reports (http://bit.ly/13Bi3jV ) police found that the previous owner had collected the hazardous substance from old factories and forgot to dispose of it when he moved. The garage stood vacant for 20 years until the mercury was discovered.
Elwood police say mercury isn't legal to purchase in such large amounts and can be used as an accelerant in homemade bombs. However, they don't think the collector had any such intentions.
Police say the home is now safe and the new owners have moved in.
Information from: The Herald Bulletin, http://www.theheraldbulletin.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Front Page Stories
|Weston to use tablets, save paper
03/10/2014 | BILL RYAN, Sentinel Staff Writer
WESTON — At the March 3 meeting of the Weston Village Council there was a diff [ ... ]
|Special Olympics equipment stolen from Wood Lane|
03/10/2014 | PETER KUEBECK, Sentinel Staff Writer
The Wood County Special Olympics will still go on as authorities look into the t [ ... ]