|Three structure fires in Perrysburg Township Monday|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Tuesday, 04 June 2013 10:57|
LIME CITY - Perrysburg Township firefighters were kept on their toes Monday, responding to three fires throughout the course of the day.
The first incident was reported at 3:18 p.m. at the Perrysburg Commons Retirement Center, 10542 Fremont Pike.
A fire alarm was reported at that time, which was later upgraded to a structure fire.
Fire Chief Tom Brice said that a resident had left some materials on a stove burner in their living space, and inadvertently turned the stovetop on. The Commons staff were able to extinguish the blaze with a fire extinguisher before fire personnel arrived. Both floors of one wing of the Commons were evacuated as a result.
Damage was contained to the stovetop and the burned items, and was estimated at about $500.
Another fire occurred at 11317 Roachton Road at 4:45 p.m., and was initially reported as a kitchen fire.
One resident had turned on her stove, forgetting she had left a number of items stored in the unit, setting them ablaze.
Damage was estimated at under $500.
At 10 p.m., at 26046 McCutcheonville Road, firefighters responded to the call of an attic full of smoke.
Upon arrival, they discovered that a bird's nest built in an exterior recessed light had caught fire.
Damage was contained to the light fixture itself, and firefighters "were able to just pull it out and stomp on it. Basically, the attic had an attic fan so we just ventilated it."
Three residents were at home at the time, and damage was listed as minimal.
No injuries were reported in any of the incidents.
Front Page Stories
|Saving the world through rain forests
04/22/2014 | DAVID DUPONT Sentinel Staff Writer
Saving the planet may come down to helping poor women in Kenya cook supper more effici [ ... ]
|Eastwood teachers make new school pitch|
04/22/2014 | MARIE THOMAS BAIRD Sentinel Education Editor
PEMBERVILLE - Eastwood elementary teachers made their case Monday for a new K-5 school [ ... ]