Local Video News


This month has the most vehicle/deer crashes PDF Print E-mail
Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff   
Monday, 04 November 2013 10:56
Wood County Sheriff Mark Wasylyshyn is reminding drivers that this is the month with the highest number of vehicle vs. deer crashes.
In 2012, the sheriff's office handled 204 such crashes, with 39 occurring in November alone.
To date in 2013, deputies have handled 132 car-deer crashes, including eight in the month of October.
According to the Insurance Forum Institute, the average cost per insurance claim for collision damage is $2,800, with costs varying depending on the type of vehicle and severity of damage. When factoring in auto claims involving bodily injury, the average rises to $10,000.
Defensive driving tips to avoid hitting a deer include:
•    Be especially attentive from sunset to midnight and during the hours shortly before and after sunrise. These are the highest-risk time for deer-vehicle collisions.
•    Drive with caution when moving through deer crossing zones, in areas known to have a large deer population, and in areas where roads divide agricultural fields from forestland. Deer seldom run alone. If you see one deer, others may be nearby.
•    When driving at night, use high beam headlights where there is no oncoming traffic. The high beams will better illuminate the eyes of deer on or near the roadway.
•    Brake firmly when you notice a deer in or near your path, but stay in your lane. Many serious crashes occur when drivers swerve to avoid a deer and hit another vehicle or lose control of their cars.
•    Always wear your seat belt. Most people injured in car-deer crashes were not wearing their seat belt.
•    Do not rely on devices such as deer whistles, deer fences and reflectors to deter deer. These devices have not been proved to reduce deer-vehicle collisions.
If your vehicle strikes a deer, do not touch the animal. A frightened and wounded deer can hurt you or further injure itself. The best procedure is to get your car off the road, if possible, and call 911.
Contact your insurance agent or company representative to report any damage to your car. Collision with an animal is covered under the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance policy.
Last Updated on Monday, 04 November 2013 12:34

Front Page Stories

'Actors' lap up stardom
04/19/2014 | DAVID DUPONT Sentinel Arts & Entertainment Editor
article thumbnail

Margot (performed by Madison Zavitz) interacts with Bruiser (performed by Nugget). (Enoc [ ... ]

Elmwood graduate Trevor Lee shares his Yosemite experience
04/19/2014 | JORDAN CRAVENS Sentinel Staff Writer
article thumbnail

Trevor Lee has traveled to 40 states, and most recently spent 10 months at Yosemite Nati [ ... ]

Other Front Page Articles
Sentinel-Tribune Copyright 2010