|Needle felting, Chinese New Year cooking classes on tap at The 577|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Saturday, 08 February 2014 09:45|
PERRYSBURG - The 577 Foundation at 577 E. Front St. is offering a wide array of adult classes for February.
Pre-registration is required for all classes at www.577foundation.org or 419-874-4174.
The class list includes:
• Stamped Cards and Papercrafts - Monday from 6:30-8:30 p.m.; $20 fee.
Celebrate love with Valentine, wedding, anniversary and baby cards. Also make a treat container with treats included. Projects will feature a variety of stamping techniques. Open to beginner or advanced.
• Raku Pottery - Monday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m.; $18 fee.
Spend an afternoon doing raku and enjoy a potluck. Bring a dish to share. Pre-requisite: taken the 577 adult pottery class and have 3-5 pots already bisque fired.
• Felted Hearts - Tuesday from 6-8:30 p.m.; $30 fee.
Needle felt 3D hearts out of wool roving and experiment felting all sorts of materials. Class members may bring a felting machine. All supplies provided. See photos on Facebook and Pinterest, under the Roving Artist. Limit: 8.
• Carve a Perky Cardinal - Next Saturday, Feb. 15, from 9-11 a.m. The fee is $25.
Welcome an early spring by carving a cardinal. Tools will be provided, but bring tools if you have them. Sharpening and safety will be covered. Class is suitable for all levels of carvers. Leader: Jean McDonald.
• Beginner Basket Weaving: Gift Basket - Feb. 23 from 2-4:30 p.m.; $25 fee. Note: registration deadline is Feb. 11.
Basket weaving is fun, functional and has evolved into an art form. Manual dexterity and strength in hands required. Bring: 3-5 gallon bucket, ruler, pencil, sturdy scissors or pruners, small screwdriver, spray bottle and dozen clothes pins. Reed and other materials provided. Take home a finished basket.
• Handcrafted Paper - Feb. 16 from 2-3:30 p.m.; $20 fee.
Make recycled paper by hand. This produces a unique type of paper to be used in many ways. Take home finished paper art with instructions to do at home. Bring a thirsty bath towel.
• Intermediate Drawing - Feb. 17 from 6-9 p.m.; $30 fee.
Learn about using design and composition, measuring, block-in techniques, lines, value and form to create realistic still life and portrait art. Bring pencils (HB, 4B), charcoal stick, 18-by-24-inch drawing pad or paper, eraser and knitting needle. Limit: 8.
• Needle Felted Teddy Bear - Feb. 19 from 1-3:30 p.m.; $30 fee.
Needle felting uses a barbed needle to interlock fibers. Create a teddy bear out of wool roving. Learn to needle felt this sculpture without batting or wire armature. All supplies provided. Limit: 8.
• Urban Homesteading - Feb. 19 from 6:30-8 p.m.; $10 fee.
Soap 101 & More. Concerned about hidden ingredients and exposures of personal products in the marketplace today? Erika Buri will demonstrate cold process soap making and provide samples, recipes for soap and other homemade skin care goods.
• Blackjack Casino Style - Feb. 20 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.; $10 fee.
Learn the knowledge of different Blackjack games; both single and multiple deck player concepts. Leader: Steve Gagnon. Limit: 24.
• Chinese New Year Cooking - Feb. 21, a Friday, from 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.; $20 fee.
Celebrate Lunar New Year, year of the Horse. The Chinese usher in the New Year with festivities & special foods. Families and relatives celebrate for 15 days. Traditional dishes served have names that are a reminder of good wishes, fortune, happiness, long life, good health. Learn more about Chinese cooking techniques and New Year dishes. Bring: apron. Meal included. Leader: Ching Leong; limit: 16.
Dishes: Traditional Chinese Crispy Shrimp Rolls, Seafood Rainbow Salad, Egg Drop Soup, New Year Cake.
• Chinese New Year Cooking - Feb. 22, a Saturday, from 6-8:30 p.m.; $20 fee.
Meal included. Dishes: Seafood Rainbow Salad, Roasted Pork, Year Round Peace, Egg Drop Soup, New Year Cake. Leader Ching Leong.
• Freshwater Pearl Necklace - Feb. 24 from 6-8:30 p.m.; $32 fee.
Create your own necklace; choose from natural white or black pearls.
• Lovely Valentine Sweetness - Feb. 28 from 1-4 p.m.; $20 fee.
Make Baklava with a variety of flavor options using sweetened ricotta, walnuts and other fillings. Homemade sugar syrup pulls this Middle Eastern specialty together. Class leader is Azizi Abdoney. Limit: 15.
Front Page Stories
|Energy regs inflate electric costs
04/17/2014 | ALEX ASPACHER Sentinel Staff Writer
NORTH BALTIMORE - Energy regulations stand in the way of inexpensive, reliable electri [ ... ]
|Lake Twp. to try for fire levy|
04/17/2014 | DEBBIE ROGERS Sentinel Staff Writer
MILLBURY - To keep on schedule with replacing major fire equipment, a levy will need t [ ... ]