|BG Women's Club hosting farewell open house for club headquarters|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Saturday, 09 March 2013 09:09|
The Women's Club of Bowling Green is hosting an open house at their clubhouse this Sunday as they celebrate the end of 91 years at 134 N. Prospect St.
They are preparing to sell the facility, according to Norma Stickler, club president.
The open house is scheduled from 2 to 4 p.m. Some mementoes will be on display. Light refreshments will be served. It is a "come and go as you need to" event, and no RSVPs are needed.
The clubhouse, at the southeast corner of Prospect and Court streets opposite the Wood County Courthouse, is considered one of the old landmarks of the City. The earliest recorded owner of the lot was Alfred Thurstin. James McPherson acquired the house in 1878 for his residence. In 1919 it passed to the Ray D. Avery family who remodeled it and sold it to the Woman's Club in 1922.
E. L. Conklin had the contract for remodeling the house, which was to be made into an up-to-date building. The rear addition to the house was removed to make room for the construction of a large dining room, 40-by-20 feet, and a kitchen and storeroom. The dining room was to be used for all banquets and social affairs of the club as well as other organizations in the city which "will be privileged to use the room if they desire. The Woman's Club does not aim to make their new quarter solely a benefit to themselves but hope that it may prove a great help the City of Bowling Green as a whole."
Front Page Stories
|Perrysburg Twp. man gets 22 years for rape, assault
07/25/2014 | PETER KUEBECK, Sentinel Staff Writer
A Perrysburg Township man was sentenced to more than 22 years in prison Thursday afternoon after bei [ ... ]
|Otsego approves contract with staff|
07/25/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune
TONTOGANY - The Otsego school district has inked a new three-year contract with [ ... ]