BG Women's Club hosting farewell open house for club headquarters PDF Print E-mail
Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff   
Saturday, 09 March 2013 09:09
The Women's Club of Bowling Green is hosting an open house at their clubhouse this Sunday as they celebrate the end of 91 years at 134 N. Prospect St.
They are preparing to sell the facility, according to Norma Stickler, club president.
The open house is scheduled from 2 to 4 p.m.  Some mementoes will be on display. Light refreshments will be served. It is a "come and go as you need to" event, and no RSVPs are needed.
The clubhouse, at the southeast corner of Prospect and Court streets opposite the Wood County Courthouse, is considered one of the old landmarks of the City. The earliest recorded owner of the lot was Alfred Thurstin. James McPherson acquired the house in 1878 for his residence. In 1919 it passed to the Ray D. Avery family who remodeled it and sold it to the Woman's Club in 1922.
E. L. Conklin had the contract for remodeling the house, which was to be made into an up-to-date building. The rear addition to the house was removed to make room for the construction of a large dining room, 40-by-20 feet, and a kitchen and storeroom. The dining room was to be used for all banquets and social affairs of the club as well as other organizations in the city which "will be privileged to use the room if they desire. The Woman's Club does not aim to make their new quarter solely a benefit to themselves but hope that it may prove a great help the City of Bowling Green as a whole."

Front Page Stories

Saving the world through rain forests
04/22/2014 | DAVID DUPONT Sentinel Staff Writer
article thumbnail

Saving the planet may come down to helping poor women in Kenya cook supper more effici [ ... ]

Eastwood teachers make new school pitch
04/22/2014 | MARIE THOMAS BAIRD Sentinel Education Editor
article thumbnail

PEMBERVILLE - Eastwood elementary teachers made their case Monday for a new K-5 school [ ... ]

Other Front Page Articles
Sentinel-Tribune Copyright 2010