|577 January classes include soap making, microgreens, beekeeping|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Tuesday, 07 January 2014 11:32|
PERRYSBURG - The 577 Foundation has a full schedule of adult classes being offered during the month of January.
Pre-registration is required for all classes at www.577foundation.org or 419-874-4174.
The class list includes:
• Creating Soap from Scratch - Wednesday, Jan. 8 from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Create soap from scratch. Learn the cold process method, safety when working with lye, and about different types of soap-making oils to achieve desired type of soap. Bring eye goggles, rubber gloves and a long-sleeved shirt. Go home with a pound of soap.
• Paper Quilling - Thursday from 6-7:30 p.m.; $15.
"Paper Quilling," is the 500-year-old craft of arranging rolled and shaped strips of paper to make a variety of designs. All skill levels welcome.
• Yoga Nidra Integrative Relaxation - Thursday from 6:30-8 p.m.; $15.
Learn simple, easily practiced meditation techniques to reverse the effects of stress.
• Garden keepsake note cards - Friday from 6:30-7:30 p.m.; $15 fee.
Create your own card with dried flowers and greenery. Supplies, tools, and handouts will be provided; feel free to bring your own dried flowers and greenery to use.
• Microgreens and sprouting - Jan. 12, Sunday, from 2-4 p.m.; $20 fee.
If you have put off buying these super nutritious items in the store because you can't find them or aren't sure if they are fresh, grow your own, Class will demonstrate, provide seeds and have you assembling an easy sprouting jar and microgreen garden to take home.
• Stamped cards and paper crafts - Jan. 13, Monday, from 6:30-8:30 p.m.; $20 fee.
Make thank-you, birthday, get well soon and a love card for Valentines; also, a treat container. Projects feature a variety of stamping techniques; embossing, glitter, embellishments and more.
• Urban homesteading - Jan. 15 from 6:30-8 p.m.; $10.
Beekeeping 101. Dan Bollett, The 577 Foundation beekeeper will tell how to start a backyard beehive. This class is for beginners and those with some beekeeping experience.
• Advanced Soap Making - Jan. 17 from 6:30-9 p.m.; $35 fee.
Take soap making to the next level. Create cold process soaps with beautiful swirls and layers. Choose from a variety of designs. Make about 2 pounds of soap to take home. Pre-requisite: must be familiar with making soap from lye, water and oil.
• Carve a Chunky Bear - Jan. 18 from 9-11 a.m.; $35 fee. Carve a bear from a rough out blank. It can be a teddy bear or a wild creature.
• Beginner basket weaving - Jan. 18 from 1-3:30 p.m.; $25 fee.
Manual dexterity and hand strength required. Bring: 3-5 gallon bucket, sturdy scissors, small screwdriver, and dozen clothes pins. Reed and other materials provided. Take home a finished heart basket. Registration deadline Jan. 7.
• Intermediate drawing - Jan. 20 from 6-9 p.m.; $30.
Learn about using design and composition, measuring, block-in techniques, lines and form to create realistic still life & portrait art. Bring: Pencils, charcoal stick, 18-vy-24 drawing pad or paper, eraser and knitting needle.
• Painting on the iPad - Jan. 23, 30 from 7-9 p.m.; $14 fee.
Learn to create digital oil paintings on your iPad. First class will cover basic tools and exercises; second class completes a finished drawing. Pre-requisite: SketchClub free app downloaded on your iPad.
• Vegetable, herb, flower seeds - Jan. 24 from 6-8 p.m.; $10.
Learn the basics of starting favorite veggies, herbs and flower from seed. From the right organic soil mixture to watering and lighting, get your hands dirty in this hands-on workshop. Leader: Sister Rita Wienken.
• Saturday Pottery - featuring Berry Bowl - Jan. 25 from 9 a.m.-noon; $18.
Class for intermediate and advanced students.
• Wet Felting Class 101 - Jan. 25 from 1-4 p.m.; $40. The oldest form of felting is wet felting. Class will use wool roving, silks, yarns; felt them using soap, water and a no-rolling rubbing process. You will have finished pieces of felted fabric. All supplies provided.
• Pottery FAQ's - Jan. 25 from 1:30-4:30 p.m.; $18. Intermediate and advanced students work independently on projects.
• Carve a Wizard - Jan. 26 from 2-4 p.m.; $35. Carve a wizard from a rough out blank.
• Beaded Gemstone Jewelry - Jan. 27 from 6-8:30 p.m.; $30 fee.
Learn to incorporate chain into your beaded necklace and earring set. Pick chain style and gemstones from a wide selection of beads.
• Needle Felted Teddy Bear - Jan. 28 from 6-8:30 p.m.; $30. Uses a barbed needle to interlock fibers. Class will needle felt a teddy bear out of wool roving.
• Authentic Lebanese Favorites - Jan. 30 from 1-4 p.m.; $15.
Prepare Chicken Shawarma sandwiches (pita wrapped), hummus and tabolee; cheese bread.
• Felted Hearts - Jan. 31 from 6-8:30 p.m.; $30. Needle felt 3D hearts out of wool roving and felting all sorts of materials. All supplies provided.
Front Page Stories
|Voters decide issues May 6
04/24/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune Staff
Voters will have the opportunity to cast their ballot in a variety of races and issues [ ... ]
|Otsego approves strategic planning|
04/24/2014 | PETER KUEBECK Sentinel Staff Writer
TONTOGANY - Community was the Otsego School Board's common theme Tuesday night.