Village buys old Weston elementary PDF Print E-mail
Written by BILL RYAN Sentinel Staff Writer   
Monday, 28 October 2013 11:08
Weston_Downtown.7134_rotator
WESTON - The check has been signed and the Village of Weston has finalized the purchase of the property which formerly housed Weston Elementary for just over $27,150.
The village council approved the expense at its meeting on Monday. In August 2012, the village entered an agreement with Otsego Schools to purchase the property for the cost of demolition of the building.
Despite an original estimate of $112,000, the bid and cost came in significantly lower. The village was responsible for 45 percent of the cost with the Ohio School Facilities Commission paying Otsego the other 55 percent.
The village does not have the actual deed in hand, but they do have the title guarantee and are now the owner of the property.
There has been some discussion on the use of the property, including an open forum which was held to have citizen input.
Council will likely take some time to consider options now that it is officially village property.
Among possible usages would be extending the recreation area of the baseball fields with more baseball diamonds, soccer fields or a running track. It could also be kept as a green space or a park with planting of additional trees.
Despite a recommendation from the Weston EMS for three-year service provider contracts, the council approved only one-year deals. After some discussion, members of the council felt with the current economic situation and the pending Affordable Care Act for healthcare requirements, it would be prudent to only approve a one-year contract at this time.
In addition to the village and Weston Township, the EMS serves Milton Township along with the communities of Custar and Milton Center under these contracts. There is an ongoing contract with Liberty Center which was not part of the approved contract.
In other action council:
• Was informed to expect their grant request for street funding will likely not be accepted because the joint grant with other villages may not score high enough because  some entities did not provide enough matching funding.
• Approved a resolution allowing surplus items to be sold through GovDeals, which provides services to various government agencies that allow them to sell surplus and confiscated items via the Internet.
• Gave a first reading to an ordinance contracting with the village prosecutor. The contract with Matt Reger features a reduced rate. Reger had assumed the contract of the former prosecuting attorney at the rate of $72 per hour. Reger reduced the rate of the new contract to $50, the same as he charges other governmental bodies.
• Heard the first reading of the cemetery increasing burial and grave opening rates. Previously village residents would pay $175 and $500 for non-residents. The resident rate is being proposed to increase to $200 for residents with no change for the others. The other change involves establishing a non-resident rate of $200 fee for a cremation or other small burial site. Previously all such smaller graves were billed at $100.
 

Front Page Stories

'Actors' lap up stardom
04/19/2014 | DAVID DUPONT Sentinel Arts & Entertainment Editor
article thumbnail

Margot (performed by Madison Zavitz) interacts with Bruiser (performed by Nugget). (Enoc [ ... ]


Elmwood graduate Trevor Lee shares his Yosemite experience
04/19/2014 | JORDAN CRAVENS Sentinel Staff Writer
article thumbnail

Trevor Lee has traveled to 40 states, and most recently spent 10 months at Yosemite Nati [ ... ]


Other Front Page Articles
Sentinel-Tribune Copyright 2010