Trip was unforgettable for local vet PDF Print E-mail
Written by By NORM RASMUSSON   
Wednesday, 11 November 2009 10:09
I was in a group on the Honor Flight on May 27. At Toledo Express Airport, we received a wonderful greeting by Dee Pakulski, president of Honor Flight. What a wonderful day for us all.
My brother Floyd, myself, Ned Zeigler and Mark Welker, all from American Legion Post 335, thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. None of us had ever been to D.C. to see the memorials.
I remember saying to my brothers about our trip to the memorial, "I'm so tickled. This will be a real treat for all of us here today."
During World War II, Mom and Dad had a four-star banner in our home in Reynolds Corner. Floyd joined the Air Force in July, 1940; Roy was in the first Toledo area draft and was in the 27th Infantry Division; Donald joined the 38th Infantry Division and was killed near Manila, Philippines, two months before the war with Japan ended.
After getting home on Dec. 28, 1945, and attending the Toledo University, I worked for Haughton Elevator then 30 years with Libbey-Owens-Ford and retiring as plant engineer at the East Broadway Plant. Nancy and I have four children and 10 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
After retiring, I did consulting electrical engineering work around the U.S. for 10 years.
To experience the landing at Dulles Airport for Honor Flight, bused to the World War II Memorial and the stroll through it has been a memorable experience for us all. First, the individual state memorials, 50 of them; then the "Star Formations" of gold stars on a blue background really made me think "Freedom in our country is not free." Each star represents 4,000 men or women and 1,000 are displayed. My brother Don is represented. His airplane crash and death are still with all of us.
I joined the Army Engineers in Detroit, went through training and was assigned to an engineer outfit. I was sent to England and Normandy, France, in the 1303rd Engineer Battalion, 12th Corps, 3rd Army with Gen. Patton, and on through five battle stars, including the Bulge. I got to Pilzon, Czechoslovakia, developed diphtheria, and was hospitalized in Paris, then assigned to the 315th Combat Engineers ready to go to fight the Japanese, when the war ended. It seems that I lost track of 120 brothers when I got hospitalized. We did a lot of things together.
I find it rather strange that a lot of the scenes, events, places and memories in detail have come back in the last two or three years. I never told anyone or discussed details of World War II with my friends or family until recently. The bad and the good are becoming topics in occasional friendly get-togethers.
We had lunch at the WWII Memorial in a tent, and afterwards walked to the World War I Memorial, Korean Memorial, Vietnam Memorial and the Nurses' Memorial. After a short break we got bused to Dulles, flew home and had a memorable party in the hangar that we'll never forget.
(Norman Rasmusson is an 86-year-old veteran residing in Perrysburg Township.)
Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 November 2009 11:27

Front Page Stories

Body of BGSU student found
07/23/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune Staff
article thumbnail

A missing poster for Cory Barron, is posted on a light pole along West 6th Street in Cle [ ... ]

Chinese lanterns may have ignited fire
07/23/2014 | PETER KUEBECK, Sentinel Staff Writer
article thumbnail

File photo. A firefighter is seen near a fire engulfing a pallet yard on West Broadway S [ ... ]

Other Front Page Articles
Sentinel-Tribune Copyright 2010