N.Baltimore hears sewer concern PDF Print E-mail
Written by MARIE THOMAS BAIRD Sentinel Education Editor   
Saturday, 12 January 2013 08:41
NorthBaltimore_rotator
NORTH BALTIMORE - Village Council heard from a resident Tuesday that last year's sewer work damaged his water line.
Poplar Street resident Rich Rose said that sewer line work caused his water line to break. He's asking council to reimburse him the $1,025 it cost him to replace the line. He did the work himself.
He showed council photos proving his line was disrupted, and incorrectly replaced, when Helms and Sons did sewer work in the village. Rose said he feels the break was due to Helms not doing the work correctly, including pulling the meter pit off.
Crews with Peterman and Associates, which managed the project, were to document all repairs made to resident-owned property, but no such document exists for Rose's land.
Dozens of breaks in the village were spliced together, but Helms doesn't have record of this site, said Andy Patterson, head of the village's Water and Sewer Department. "There's no record of any damage on this property."
Rose said he noticed the line leaking in October, when his water consumption went up. The sewer line work was completed in July 2011.
Rose brought a portion of his line, showing a metal bracket, not stainless steel which is non-corrosive.
He warned council that if such repairs were made to other water lines in the village, there will be problems.
"There's going to be a mess of these in this town," he stated.
Village Administrator Kathy Healy, Mayor Mike Julien, Patterson and Rose will meet with Helms and Sons representatives to further discuss the issue. Julien said he expects to have an answer in the next month.
Also at Tuesday's meeting, council:
• Heard from Julien he is working on a comprehensive master plan for the village, outlining goals for each department.
"If we don't have a plan at all, we're just spinning our wheels in the mud," he stated.
• Discussed again the need for sidewalks on Maple Street, from Rhodes Avenue to Rudolph Road near the new middle/high school.
Waiting the three years in took the school district to plan and build the new building, and still not having sidewalks out there, is unacceptable, said Councilman Bill Cameron.
Council decided to leave it to the economic and community development committee to come up with a solution.
• Learned the mayor is asking for $5,000 from the 2013 budget to train a D.A.R.E. officer and an alternative Student Resource Officer to work with the school district.
 

Front Page Stories

Marriage not for everyone anymore
04/18/2014 | KAREN NADLER COTA, Sentinel Lifestyles Editor
article thumbnail

Dr. Gary Lee speaking at BGSU Thursday evening. (Photo: Shane Hughes/Sentinel-Tribune)
 [ ... ]


ReadyCare moving to BGSU site
04/18/2014 | ALEX ASPACHER, Sentinel Staff Writer
article thumbnail

New patients will be matriculating at the Falcon Health Center next month.
Wood C [ ... ]


Other Front Page Articles
Sentinel-Tribune Copyright 2010