MILLBURY — The Lake Township police chief hopes that regional dispatching is on the fast track now that the trustees have approved a consultant for the project.
|File photo. A Lake Township fire truck is seen at the townships fire station.
At last week’s meeting, the trustees contracted with Poggemeyer Design Group, Bowling Green, for “consulting services for shared services and the formation of a regional governmental structure.” This is to assist in the development of a regional dispatch center to be used by the township, Northwood, Rossford, Millbury and Walbridge.
The contract is for $10,000, which will be paid through the Local Government Innovation Grant.
The $87,840 grant was awarded to the township and partners in June.
The trustees approved a resolution in February to apply for the grant. At that meeting, Chief Mark Hummer, who is also the township administrator, said the dispatch center will end up saving all the entities money and improve communications.
“My goal is first quarter of this year,” Hummer said of getting the study completed. “It is time to move this forward.”
The township currently runs dispatching at its Lemoyne Road facility for itself, Rossford, Walbridge and Millbury.
Also at the Jan. 15 meeting, the board:
• Authorized $3,900 for Wojo’s Heating and Air Conditioning Inc., Northwood, to install heaters in the bay area of fire station No. 1.
• Authorized $1,400 for eight EMTs to attend the St. Vincent Life Flight “Partners for Life” conference Feb. 14-16.
• Authorized $800 for firefighter Dan Finch to attend a basic EMT certification class at the Oregon Career and Technology Center.
• Accepted the resignation of patrolman Shannon Badgett, who had been with the department for 11 years, due to personal reasons.
• Accepted a $1,397 donation for the fire department from Dan and Shirley Walters.
• Heard December department reports. The police department made 16 arrests and issued 12 citations; the township had 309 calls, Millbury had five calls, Walbridge had 101 and Rossford had 364. The fire department had 101 calls and Medic 50 had 99; for 2012, the fire department had 1,138 calls and Medic 50 has 1,149. The cemetery had 12 burials and 167 for 2012. Zoning issued four permits and collected $270.
• Heard the chili cookoff to benefit the parks will be Feb. 16 at the township administration building with registration at noon.
• Noted the Comfort Food Dinner to benefit the Lake Township Food Pantry will be Feb. 23 at the Millbury Fire Hall from 5 to 7 p.m.