|Guilty plea entered in Rossford sex case|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Saturday, 03 May 2014 08:49|
A Toledo man arrested late last year in a Rossford sex case pleaded guilty Friday in Wood County Court.
Cornelius Taite, 36, appeared in the courtroom of Judge Alan Mayberry.
He pleaded guilty to an amended count of abduction with sexual motivation, a third-degree felony.
He was initially indicted on one count of rape and two counts of sexual battery.
The sexual battery counts are to be dismissed when Taite is sentenced July 3 at 9 a.m.
Taite was arrested in December after a reported Oct. 26 incident at a home in Rossford. Police received report that four suspects had fled the scene after a reported rape of a 26-year-old female.
Prosecuting attorney Gwen Howe-Gebers said that evidence would have shown that Taite and other men went to the home and played pool and other games while drinking alcohol.
The victim reportedly could not recall a great deal of the evening, but later said she found herself against the pool table with the defendant, who she said wanted to engage in sexual activity with her.
An inside-out condom with Taite's DNA was later found, Howe-Gebers said.
Three other co-defendants in the incident - Marquise L. Brown, 24; Howard L. Henderson III, 25; and Dajuan Henderson, 28, all of Toledo - who were all initially indicted on one count of rape and two counts of sexual battery in the incident, had their cases dismissed without prejudice in February.
A court document related to the dismissal indicated that "the state and law enforcement have been continually exploring the facts and evidence in this case.
However, issues have recently arisen that need more in-depth examination which cannot be accomplished prior to the (originally-set) trial date of Feb. 24."
|Last Updated on Saturday, 03 May 2014 09:06|
Front Page Stories
|Rossford schools to put levy on fall ballot
07/22/2014 | BILL RYAN, Sentinel Staff Writer
ROSSFORD - Voters in the Rossford School District will be asked to approve a new 4.49- [ ... ]
|Custar man ruled not competent|
07/22/2014 | PETER KUEBECK, Sentinel Staff Writer
File photo. Thomas Boyer, left, is seen with his attorney. (Photo: Enoch Wu/Sentinel-Tri [ ... ]