Bowling Green's Sixth Annual Winterfest runs Friday through Sunday with events all around the community.
|Ari Magelssen, 4, marvels at the ice sculpture in the courtyard of the old Huntington Bank building during last year's Winterfest. (Photo: Shane Hughes/Sentinel-Tribune)
More than 25 ice sculptures will line the downtown streets.
"We have a lot of Valentine's Day activities, trying to put a little romance into life," said Wendy Stram, director of the BG Convention and Visitors Bureau. "The carriage rides Friday (6 to 9 p.m.) will be a bit more romantic than the trolley rides meant for families Saturday (6 to 8 p.m.)"
Both leave from the Huntington Courtyard in the 100 block of South Main Street.
Ice carvers will create a giant heart Friday at 4 p.m. and Cupids at 10 a.m. Saturday, both in the courtyard.
"It is supposed to be warmer this weekend and we'll probably get more snow," Stram said. "We hope people want to get over their cabin fever and enjoy three days of Winterfest activities."
Among the activities are ice skating, a sandwich stroll, pancake breakfast, chili and soup cook-off, Frostbite Fun Run, snow games, an art exhibition and the Red Cross Fire and Ice fundraiser. There is musical entertainment at three venues Saturday night.
Kristin Otley, recreation coordinator for BG Parks and Recreation, is co-chair, with Stram.
Organizers are encouraging attendees to first get their free "Ticket to Winterfest," with the event schedule, from participating locations or the WinterfestBG Facebook page. Participate in Winterfest and have the ticket stamped for each activity, which provides entry into a prize package giveaway.
Individual ice sculptures will be on display on the South Main blocks as well as a Valentine's themed ice garden in the Huntington Courtyard.
• Ice Garden Carving Demonstration, Huntington Courtyard, 4 p.m.
• Downtown Open House "Sparkle Night," 5 to 8 p.m.
• Ice Sculptures displayed downtown, South Main block, 6 to 10 p.m.
• Ice Garden Huntington Courtyard Valentines Display and Carriage Rides 6 to 9 p.m.
• Valentines Date Night at downtown businesses through the evening.
• Snowflakes on Display Art Exhibition at downtown businesses
• BGSU Valentine's Party Ice Arena Public Skate, 7 to 8:50 p.m.
• Art Exhibition, Myles Baker Street, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• BGHS Girls Softball Pancake Breakfast, High School Cafeteria, 8 to 11 a.m.
• Ice Garden Carving Demo Huntington Courtyard, 10 a.m.
• Ice Sculptures displayed downtown South Main, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• BG Parks Frost Bite Run, City Park, 11 a.m.
• BG Parks Snow Games, City Park, 12:30 to 2 p.m.
• Chili and Soup Cook Off, Veterans Building at City Park, noon to 2 p.m.
• BG Arts Council Sandwich Stroll, participating downtown restaurants, Noon to 5 p.m. (www.bgartscouncil.com)
• Dodgeball Tournament, Community Center, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• BGSU Ice Arena Public Skate, 3:30 to 5:20 and 7 to 8:50 p.m.
• Ice Garden Huntington Courtyard Carriage Rides, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Snowflakes on Display Art Exhibition downtown businesses all day.
• Red Cross Fire and Ice Gala, Clazel Theater 7 to 11 p.m., (www.redcross.org/fireandice)
• Grounds For Thought Jazz Concert, Bob Manley and Friends, downtown 8 p.m.
• The Stone's Throw, Acoustic Penguin at 9 p.m.
• Howard's Club H, Kitty Glitter, 10 p.m.
• City Park Outdoor Skating, dawn to dusk
• Ice Garden Huntington Courtyard and Sculpture Display, noon to 5 p.m.
• Snowflakes on Display Art Exhibition downtown businesses.
• Wood County District Public Library's Penguin Party, 2 to 4 p.m.
• BGSU Ice Arena Public Skate, 3:30-5:20 p.m.