Pentagon chief can't offer hope in budget cuts PDF  | Print |  E-mail
Written by LARA JAKES, AP National Security Writer   
Sunday, 21 July 2013 06:05

JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The audience gasped in surprise and gave a few low whistles as Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel delivered the news that furloughs, which have forced a 20 percent pay cut on most of the military's civilian workforce, probably will continue next year and might worsen.

"Those are the facts of life," Hagel told about 300 Defense Department employees, most of them middle-aged civilians, last week at an Air Force reception hall on a military base in Charleston.

Future layoffs also are possible for the department's civilian workforce of more than 800,000 employees, Hagel said, if Congress fails to stem the cuts in the next budget year, which starts Oct. 1.

On the heels of the department's first furlough day, and in three days of visits with members of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps, Hagel played the unenviable role of messenger to a frustrated and fearful workforce coping with the inevitability of a spending squeeze at the end of more than a decade of constant and costly war.

The fiscal crunch also lays bare the politically unpopular, if perhaps necessary, need to bring runaway military costs in line with most of the rest of the American public that has struggled economically for years.

"Everybody's bracing for the impact," Army Master Sgt. Trey Corrales said after Hagel spoke with soldiers during a quick stop at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Corrales' wife, a military civilian employee, is among those furloughed, and they have cancelled their cable TV and started carpooling to work to save money.

The furloughs have hit about 650,000 civilian employees but also have slowed health care and other services for the uniformed military, which has stopped some training missions and faces equipment shortages due to the budget shortfalls. Troops were told this month they will no longer receive extra pay for deployments to 18 former global hot spots no longer considered danger zones.

Troops already are facing force reductions, and the Army alone has announced plans to trim its ranks by 80,000 over the next five years.

___

Follow Lara Jakes on Twitter at https://twitter.com/larajakesAP


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

 

Front Page Stories

Perrysburg Twp. man gets 22 years for rape, assault
07/25/2014 | PETER KUEBECK, Sentinel Staff Writer

A Perrysburg Township man was sentenced to more than 22 years in prison Thursday afternoon after bei [ ... ]


Otsego approves contract with staff
07/25/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune
article thumbnail

TONTOGANY - The Otsego school district has inked a new three-year contract with  [ ... ]


Other Front Page Articles