|Youth judge and show animals successfully at Ohio Sate Fair|
|Written by Sentinel-Tribune Staff|
|Tuesday, 27 August 2013 09:27|
In the livestock events at the Ohio State Fair, many of the local youth performed well including both the junior and senior livestock judging teams which each won their respective divisions.
Other champions included Hannah Frobose, Landon Richards and Austen Nissen and Lauren Nissen.
Livestock Judging is a 4-H based activity in which participants learn to evaluate market and breeding animals for quality and performance.
Wood County Junior Livestock Judging Team
First place team members, with 4-H clubs, overall placement and top individual rankings in the various animal species:
• Morgan Mazey, Livestock Unlimited, was second overall individually in Ohio. Also first in both beef and reasons; second in swine and fourth in sheep.
• Sydney Mazey, Livestock Unlimited, was third overall individually in Ohio. Also second in sheep, fourth in reasons, fifth in goats, eighth in swine and 10th in beef.
• Aubrey Mazey, Beaver Creek Boosters, was fifth overall individually in Ohio. Also first in goats, fifth in sheep, sixth in reasons and seventh in beef.
• Luke Hagemeyer, Livestock Unlimited, was ninth overall individually in Ohio. Also second in reasons, fourth in beef and sixth in sheep.
Wood County also had the fourth place team in juniors.
Team members included: Kylie O'Brien, Livestock Unlimited, who ranked eighth in the state for goats; Ashlyn O'Brien, Livestock Unlimited; Owen Brinker, Livestock Unlimited; who was third in sheep; and Hayden Belleville, Livestock Unlimited, who finished fifth in reasons.
The third junior team from Wood County was the sixth place team which included: Karter Converse, Livestock Unlimited, who was sixth in goats, ninth in reasons and 10th in sheep; Zane Hagemeyer, Livestock Unlimited; Jamie Lahey, Livestock Unlimited; and Morgan Simon, Green Meadows, who was ninth in sheep.
The members of the first place team in Ohio representing Wood County were:
• Lane Kemner, Simply Stock, was second overall individually in Ohio. Also third in goats, fifth in beef, sixth in swine and ninth in reasons.
• Logan Browne, Livestock Unlimited, was third overall individually in Ohio. Also first in swine, second in reason, seventh in beef and eighth in sheep.
• Hannah Frobose, Livestock Unlimited, was fourth overall individually in Ohio. Also first in beef, fourth in reasons, fifth in swine and ninth in sheep.
• Kirsten Ameling, Livestock Unlimited.
The fourth place team in Ohio included: Lucas Tuck, Duke's Mixture, who was sixth place overall individual in the state, including first in sheep, and 10th in reasons;
Garrett Tuck, Duke's Mixture, who was second in swine and third in reasons; Hunter Frobose, Livestock Unlimited; and Steven Speck, Blue Ribbon Rangers.
Jack Hagemeyer and Autumn Converse, both Livestock Unlimited, were 18th place Individuals.
• Hannah Frobose, Livestock Unlimited, was winner overall market exhibitor; the champion York Muscle Quality performance; showed the reserve heavyweight light crossbreed; won in swine showmanship (age 16); fourth place swine skill-a-thon; and fifth place overall market exhibitor.
• Hunter Frobose, Livestock Unlimited, showed the reserve champion York in Muscle Quality performance
• Landon Richards, Simply Stock, won in beef showmanship (age 16); third place in class for short horn plus steer; third place in lamb showmanship; and fifth place in class for all three lambs
• Garrett Tuck, Duke's Mixture, fourth place in class for market lamb
• Lucas Tuck, Duke's Mixture, eighth place in class crossbreed lamb, and 10th place in class for market lamb.
• Austen Nissen, Saddles N Surreys, first place western showmanship; third place horse poster contest - junior; eighth place horse skill-a-thon; and 10th place western horsemanship.
• Lauren Nissen, Saddles & Surreys, first place horse poster contest - senior; third place western horsemanship; fourth place English Showmanship; seventh, western showmanship.
If you would like to learn more about animal evaluation, contact the Livestock Judging Team Coach, Dan Frobose at 419-261-3410.
Front Page Stories
|'Actors' lap up stardom
04/19/2014 | DAVID DUPONT Sentinel Arts & Entertainment Editor
Margot (performed by Madison Zavitz) interacts with Bruiser (performed by Nugget). (Enoc [ ... ]
|Elmwood graduate Trevor Lee shares his Yosemite experience|
04/19/2014 | JORDAN CRAVENS Sentinel Staff Writer
Trevor Lee has traveled to 40 states, and most recently spent 10 months at Yosemite Nati [ ... ]