|Kunyk, Daniels win major awards (03-14-14)|
|Written by Sentinel Sports Staff|
|Friday, 14 March 2014 09:36|
MADISON, Wis. - Alaska's Cody Kunyk was the player of the year and Ferris State's Bob Daniels was the coach of the year on the All-Western Collegiate Hockey Association teams announced Thursday.
Kunyk, a senior forward, leads the league in scoring with 42 points in 34 games, He has 22 goals and 20 assists.
Daniels guided Ferris to the WCHA championship.
The Bulldogs finished league play with a 20-6-2 record and are 25-9-3 overall. Ferris is ranked sixth nationally.
Other award winners were:
• First-team: forwards Kunyk, Matt Bailey of Alaska-Anchorage and Matt Leitner of Minnesota; defensemen Colton Parayko of Alaska and Zach Palmquist of MSU; and goalie C.J. Motte of Ferris.
• Second-team: forwards Jean-Paul Lafontaine of MSU, Colton Beck of Alaska and Garrett Thompson of Ferris; defensemen of Scott Czarnowczan of Ferris and Kevin Czuczman of Ferris; and goalie Cole Huggins of MSU.
• Third-team: forwards Tyler Morley of Alaska, Zech Lehrke and Johnny McInnis of MSU; Matt Prapavessis of Bemidji State and Jason Binkley of Ferris; and goalie Kevin Kapalka of Lake Superior.
• All-rookie team: forwards Alex Globke of Lake Superior, Marcus Basara of Alaska and Kyle Schempp of Ferris; defensemen Shane Hanna of Michigan Tech, Ruslan Pedan of Bemidji and Sean Flanagan of MSU; and Huggins.
• Outstanding student-athlete: Chad Breais, Alabama-Huntsville.
• Defensive player of the year: Parayko.
• Rookie of the year: Globke.
All of the awards were selected in a vote of league coaches, players and sports information directors.
Front Page Stories
|Market Square already bustling with business
07/26/2014 | MARIE THOMAS BAIRD Sentinel Education Editor
Market Square in BG along Wooster Street. (J.D. Pooley/Sentinel-Tribune) Market S [ ... ]
|Young man goes west to further his acting career|
07/26/2014 | DAVID DUPONT Arts & Entertainment Editor
Justin Betancourt (left) and Jeffrey Guion perform. (Enoch Wu/Sentinel-Tribune) J [ ... ]