|NFL retiree publicity rights settlement approved|
|Written by DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Pro Football Writer|
|Monday, 08 April 2013 13:57|
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The $50 million settlement between the NFL and a group of retired players seeking publicity rights has been given preliminary approval by a federal judge.
U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson also warned retirees Monday not to be too fussy about the money now that it's been awarded.
The settlement of the class-action lawsuit was mediated last month. But some of the plaintiffs opposed the agreement, arguing it didn't benefit them enough. Magnuson said in his order that the complexity and expense of further litigation "weigh heavily in favor" of final approval of the settlement — and he said the complaint sounded like "children denied dessert."
The lawsuit was filed in 2009, accusing the NFL of exploitation of the identities of retired players in highlight films and memorabilia.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Front Page Stories
|Northwood seeks input on levies for school
12/11/2013 | MARIE THOMAS BAIRD Sentinel Education Editor
NORTHWOOD — There were only 20 people there, but overwhelmingly they supported North [ ... ]
|BGSU to freeze tuition|
12/11/2013 | DAVID DUPONT Sentinel Staff Writer
Students will pay the same amount to attend Bowling Green State University next academ [ ... ]