AP News Menu

Two men charged in mass shooting at Chicago park
Written by HERBERT G. MCCANN, Associated Press   
Tuesday, 24 September 2013 06:25

CHICAGO (AP) — Two men have been charged in connection with last week's shooting that injured 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy.

Authorities say 21-year-old Bryon Champ and 20-year-old Kewane Gatewood were charged late Monday in the shooting at Cornell Square Park, which is located in Chicago's southwest side.

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy says that while the two played significant roles in the shooting, neither is believed to have pulled the trigger.

McCarthy says detectives are continuing the investigation.

Authorities say as many as three people opened fire Thursday on a basketball court in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. Among those injured were 3-year-old Deonta Howard, who is recovering from surgery after being shot near an ear, along with two teenagers.


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Front Page Stories

Marriage not for everyone anymore
04/18/2014 | KAREN NADLER COTA, Sentinel Lifestyles Editor
article thumbnail

Dr. Gary Lee speaking at BGSU Thursday evening. (Photo: Shane Hughes/Sentinel-Tribune)
 [ ... ]


ReadyCare moving to BGSU site
04/18/2014 | ALEX ASPACHER, Sentinel Staff Writer
article thumbnail

New patients will be matriculating at the Falcon Health Center next month.
Wood C [ ... ]


Other Front Page Articles