|Burning Man crowd in Nevada desert tops 61,000|
|Written by Associated Press|
|Sunday, 01 September 2013 04:59|
RENO, Nev. (AP) — A federal official says more than 61,000 people have turned out so far for the weekend Burning Man outdoor art and music festival in the Black Rock Desert of northern Nevada.
U.S. Bureau of Land Management spokesman Mark Turney said Saturday that gate management was tightened Friday when organizers got close to a permitted capacity of 68,000.
Turney says the crowd ebbs and flows at the festival taking place about 100 miles north of Reno.
He says organizers reported one person was flown to a hospital by medical helicopter this week after being struck by a vehicle.
No other serious incidents have been reported.
Attendance peaked last year at 56,000.
The BLM raised the crowd limit this year after organizers agreed to security, public safety, resource management and cleanup rules.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Front Page Stories
|Pemberville leaders don’t want town to lose school
03/07/2014 | Sentinel-Tribune
PEMBERVILLE - Village Council Tuesday unanimously approved a resolution urging the Eastwood Board of [ ... ]
|Walbridge paves way for roadwork (3-7-14)|
03/07/2014 | DEBBIE ROGERS, Sentinel Staff Writer
WALBRIDGE - A Toledo company has been selected to do a major road project in the [ ... ]